Falling off roost

NataleeL

Chirping
Jun 23, 2016
utah
One of my reds is in a heavy molt.
I noticed while cleaning the nests today that one had deficated in the nest.
Tonight when I went to lock them in for the night i found that red in a nesting box.
Moved her to the perch to roost and she took a step forward and fell. Moved her up again, she fell. Moved her to the one alone instead of the one with all the other hens. And she fell again.
She nested herself in the corner of the roosting coop floor.
What on earth is going on!?
Is her molting so bad that it's hurt her balance or her wings too thin to make her feel safe that high.
I've searched and can't find anything.

Sorry about your sweet girl!
A couple of things to consider: has she been wormed lately? Has she had a good dose of vitamins? I would start there. Safeguard horse wormer is my first 'go to' when I notice anything off. Your girl's natural resistance to parasites might be compromised due to molt. I also have fairly decent success with nutri drench for poultry.
Do continue to watch her to make sure the other chickens don't begin to pick at her because she is weak - it's not a bad idea to isolate her as well.
Let us know how things go.

I did worm them all as fall came but I'll try something more. See if I can find Safeguard horse wormer I've added vitamins, electrolytes also oregano, pumpkin seed oil to their water.
I'll try what you've recomended..i do have her isolated so I can observe her over night with scrambled eggs and water hoping to see her stool and see how much she eats and drinks over the next 24 hrs. So far she is eating and drinking great just won't roost. I have a bar in their isolation cage too.

I wouldn't give her anything more than her regular feed and clean water.
Maybe some scrambled eggs for the extra protein.

Lose the electrolytes, they should have those full time,
only when suffering from heatstroke.
The other stuff should be removed also.

Give her a week on a good basic diet(with a little extra protein) and see how she does.

I have her in the isolation cage with scrambled eggs and regular water.
I'll cut the electrolytes from the waterer thank you for that!
I need to check for laying issues but I'm fairly certain all my reds laid an egg yesterday.. which is strange being she's in a heavy molt.
She is about 1.5 years old.

I would just leave her and not cause anymore stress than the molt is already causing...Yes her balance is off...I would not care if she sleeps in a nest box...My Hen is now molting and sleeps on the floor in a corner of the Coop..Fresh water and regular feed is all I give daily.I toss out a few handfuls of dry cat food for extra protein every couple of days..I feed grower....

Heavy molting makes them feel unwell and they tend to not eat very good either.
Giving her supportive care is a good idea. See that she is drinking well and eating - even if you need to entice her with a little chopped egg or tuna along with her normal feed.

Find a good poultry vitamin that contains the B Vitamins along with Vitamin E and add that to her water or feed for a couple of days a week.

If you can have a fecal float to determine if she has worms that would be a good idea - no need to unnecessarily treat unless you have to. Safeguard is a good de-wormer, but should not be during molt - it can cause feathers to be stunted, have stress marks, etc.

Back
Top Bottom