Falling off roost

Interesting @Wyorp Rock - I've never read about wormer/molting issues. Good to know! :)

Fenbendazole (Safeguard/Panacur) is the only one I have seen that mentions not to use during molt. There may be others. A lot of people do de-worm during molting since most hens stop laying during this period of time - this way they avoid having to throw away eggs. If a fecal float shows an overload of worms - then of course this would need to be taken into consideration - a molting bird can more easily succumb to worms, parasites and disease since molting seems to make them weaker and treatment may be necessary. Valbazen or Praziquantel may be better choices during motling- but Kathy (@casportpony) would know better than I.

Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook says "Do not use during molt (may cause stunted feathers) or while nesting."
@casportpony has a few posts with some links/information here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fenbendazole-safeguard-panacur-side-effects.1142048/

According to a few vets, it's not just Safeguard (fenbendazole), it's all wormers in that class of wormer (albendazole, flubendazole , etc).

FWIW, I have used it during molt and haven't seen any feather issues.

I would like to see some pictures and a video of this hen. @NataleeL , to post a video you need to upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo then post the link here.

I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but you should check her entire body for mites and lice, then treat with permetrin dust or spray if you find any.

As was mentioned, plain water only. No oils, powders, etc, just water.

If she were mine I would also get a baseline weight and check weight daily.

According to a few vets, it's not just Safeguard (fenbendazole), it's all wormers in that class of wormer (albendazole, flubendazole , etc).

FWIW, I have used it during molt and haven't seen any feather issues.

Good info Kathy. I have not dewormed during molt, so can't say one way or the other how it affects feather growth. :)

How is she walking? Just roosting issues? Have you checked her feet? Any sores? Seen if she can grip appropriately with her feet? (FYI, chickens have a natural tenodesis, which allows them to grip when they are even sleeping.)

Agreed, increased nutrition might be warranted, but i'd not choose to worm her AGAIN. I'd not worm, unless a fecal float indicated a problem. Throwing any kind of medication at an animal when you don't even have a diagnosis to work with simply does not seem prudent. However, adding some appropriate vitamins, and extra protein, especially if she's molting would be appropriate.

Thank you all so much for all the information.
I will video her tonight if she acts this way again. I didn't see anything abnormal in her morning movement. I examined her feet and they seem in good condition.
She ate and drank well this morning. Had some scrambled eggs and a little cat food. And she went right out and took a dust bath. So over all her health seems well. She is a little thin I'm going to watch her weight.
I'll post a video if the issue happens again.
Thank you all again!

Back
Top Bottom