False Pregnancy in Rabbits?

AmaliaLuhtalla

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
Is it possible for a rabbit to have a false pregnancy, even if she has not been with a buck?

I have a Flemish Giant doe who started nesting today but I never bred her so how can she be pregnant? I know that false pregnancies are common in rabbits but I was under the impression that that only happens with unsuccessful breedings. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they don't need to mate in order to have a false pregnancy. Does anybody know for sure or do I need to start preparing for kits?

If she is pregnant, that's fine I raise and sell rabbits and I breed them and everything so I know what to do. I don't need advice on how to care for the litter. It's just that none of my rabbits have ever had a false pregnancy before so this is new to me.

I do have wild cottontails that hang out in my yard so I am kinda wondering if one of them may have impregnated her through the fence, or is that even a possibility? At the moment I am assuming a false pregnancy, just curious to know what you guys all think about the situation. Thanks!

Yes. Rabbits very commonly have false pregnancies, even without having ever been with a buck. It happens to my does from time to time. I have even heard that in rare cases, bucks with messed up hormones can have them!! we put our rabbits out in ground pens every few days and have tons of wild rabbits, yet have never had a wild rabbit breed ours through the cages.

You never know though, she could be pregnant. It's just so hard to tell with rabbits. Have you noticed anything else?

She built a nest, pulled out her hair, and her mammary glands did swell a bit. I have noticed that she defends this nest more aggressively, usually my pregnant does can care less if I touch the nest. She has had absolutely no contact with my buck, but her cage is across the hall from his so she can see and smell him, and the doe next to her is due to kindle any time this week, so I'm guessing that that was some sort of stimulus.

Yeah, we've noticed when other does kindle certain does will pull fur. I have also heard when does are bored, they'll have false pregnancies.

Will this affect her fertility at all? I originally made plans to take her to a breeder on Friday (the only buck I have is her father, so I breed her to another farmer's buck) will I have to wait another week or two or will she still be breedable?

Is it possible for a rabbit to have a false pregnancy, even if she has not been with a buck?

I have a Flemish Giant doe who started nesting today but I never bred her so how can she be pregnant? I know that false pregnancies are common in rabbits but I was under the impression that that only happens with unsuccessful breedings. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they don't need to mate in order to have a false pregnancy. Does anybody know for sure or do I need to start preparing for kits?

If she is pregnant, that's fine I raise and sell rabbits and I breed them and everything so I know what to do. I don't need advice on how to care for the litter. It's just that none of my rabbits have ever had a false pregnancy before so this is new to me.

I do have wild cottontails that hang out in my yard so I am kinda wondering if one of them may have impregnated her through the fence, or is that even a possibility? At the moment I am assuming a false pregnancy, just curious to know what you guys all think about the situation. Thanks!
It isn’t possible for a rabbit from North American origin to crossbreed with a domesticated rabbit. Domesticated rabbits are of European descent. The DNA had a different number of chromosomes. They may try to breed but the embryos are not viable.
Rabbit tid-bit for the day.

From my experiences both actual and reading, nesting is showing she is Ready to be a mom n wants to be bred. Considering her size some prefer to wait till 9 - 12 months of age. To allow more maturity both physical n mental. Yes, I have read of pregnancy occurring through fences, cage walls.

Back
Top Bottom