Family dog, yay or nay?

I hate to disagree with HunterJumper99, but around where I live, you can't rent if you've got a pit. or a rottie. so, if you're ever going to have to rent, those breeds can make it really hard, regardless of the particular temperment of your dog. I've got a lab mix, and she's fabulous.

Definitely a lab! Labs are great family dogs. Plenty of them to be rescued, too.

Be careful what breed you get. Many places won't rent if you have certain breeds. This can include Pits, German Shepherds, Rotts, and Dobermans. I've seen some who also won't rent if you have a Chow or Chow mix. Most apartments won't allow you if you have any of these. Some apartments also have a weight restriction on dogs -- nothing over a certain size.

If you are looking at a house, some do restrict some or all of the breeds listed above. Some Homeowners associations may also disallow pits and some cities charge several times as much for dog tags if it's a pit or pit mix.

Last edited:
I wish you were closer to Indiana! I have been trying to find a home for a great dog that an aquaintance needs to re-home. Check out my post "Am I Insane?" in the "Other Pets and Livestock" section. He definately has Rottie markings, but that doesn't mean anything-------he's around 40-45 lbs. and they think about 4 yrs. old.

Get a Doberman. They're smart, a great protector of their family, love to play, & are BEAUTIFUL!

44102_lrfloor_001.jpg

44102_lr_floor_052.jpg

& they LOVE to sleep.

44102_lr_floor_044.jpg

Rescue mixes are a great way to go. Mixes tend to be healthier and more balanced, imho. Lab mixes are great - friendly and smart. The mix often helps mellow them out a wee bit.

I wouldn't say our dog (rescue lab mix) is good as a protector - he loves everyone. For me, I'd rather have the "warning system" that he provides and skip the "protector" - because I don't ever have to worry about him biting someone. And he's 40 pounds, a great size for us.

I agree with the other poster who suggested that a foster family can provide a lot of information to help decide on the right dog for you.

Lab! My chocolate is the best dog in the whole wide world! And I tell him that every day! Really good with our 3 yr old grandson, has been from day one. Loves everyone and everything, lets the cats push him around, leaves the chickens alone, and has been an easy one to train.

Quote:
Yeah there are a ton of mixes that would be great. Harder to tell with a puppy, but then again you can mold it to fit your life easily. If you don't want to spend a lot of time exercising the dog, avoid really high energy ones. I'd avoid herding dogs.
As someone else mentioned a lot of times a Lab mix will lose some of the crazy hyperness that pure Labs tend to have.
Ours is mostly Lab and he's never met a stranger. I don't have to stress about him randomly biting anyone, as they'd have to seriously abuse him first. It's nice to have a dog that you can take to the park and everyone can pet him. HOWEVER, he IS smart enough to know if something is "wrong" with the way a person is acting, like someone sneaking around the place at night - he will bark alarm.
Then again, he's HUGE. Really too big for the XL plastic crate. As mentioned, renting could be a problem with a big dog.

chickensducks&agoose :

I hate to disagree with HunterJumper99, but around where I live, you can't rent if you've got a pit. or a rottie. so, if you're ever going to have to rent, those breeds can make it really hard, regardless of the particular temperment of your dog. I've got a lab mix, and she's fabulous.

Getting home owners insurance can also be a problem with certain breeds. GSD's are on the list too. Do you have a dog and what kind was one of the 1st questions they asked us and they have been out to the house to check.​

Quote:
Getting home owners insurance can also be a problem with certain breeds. GSD's are on the list too. Do you have a dog and what kind was one of the 1st questions they asked us and they have been out to the house to check.

I agree, as an insurance adjuster, this can cause homeowners rates to go up. Breeds like, pits and rotts especially.

I usually think a mutt or mixed breed is a good choice. They are usually very healthy, and nobody has one that looks quite like it!
big_smile.png

Also, I saw you mentioned Great Pyrenees. They are supposed to be great dogs! They will bark to alert you to anything/anyone new that is around. But that is what they are bred for. They are supposedly extremely docile around people they are raised with. But the have A TON OF HAIR!!!!!!!!! That is the biggest complaint I have heard. But people still say they wouldnt trade their Pyrenees for anything.

Last edited:
Quote:
Getting home owners insurance can also be a problem with certain breeds. GSD's are on the list too. Do you have a dog and what kind was one of the 1st questions they asked us and they have been out to the house to check.

That's kinda funny because ours has NEVER asked about our animals, or their breeds. Perhaps it depends on where you live.
Regardless, the Chow mix will live with me forever and no insurance company is gonna change that.

Back
Top Bottom