Fancy Pigeons Thread!!

You are very ambitious, it will take a good 3-4 generations to get curl like the frillback, but to stay with the "breed type" your trying to cross, no telling how long, I have never seen that done if your looking to stay with the type with curly feathers of the frillback.
Good luck and lets see what you produce.

You are very ambitious, it will take a good 3-4 generations to get curl like the frillback, but to stay with the "breed type" your trying to cross, no telling how long, I have never seen that done if your looking to stay with the type with curly feathers of the frillback.
Good luck and lets see what you produce.  

If u breed a frill back to another pigeon that is not frill back is it possible to have babies that have frill backs ? If so all u need to do is breed it to a say cupuchin and then breed the frill back baby again to a capuchin and their baby frill back breed again to another capuchin and then you'll b pretty close to having a frill back capuchin?

This is a F1 frillback cross with a fantail, it is not a good picture but the feather just barely is turned out, I can not predict the future of such a cross I haven't even seen a frillback crossed with any other breed and display both traits. I am only guessing it would take a very long time to achieve the desired results, not saying it couldn't be done, I just have never seen it done. I would think you would need to start with at least 2 pair and keep crossing them back and forth with the desired traits like you have stated.

hmmm.. to bad, as id heard from some breeder theorized in an old book or somewere i dont recal now, that they assumed the frillback gene was dominant due to the fact they had frillbacks and one or more other types, and any occassional hidden cross babies had both the one fancy feature and always the frillback, but now im wondering if the other type, just had recessive frillback genes also that displayed when put against full frillback gene. I was just guessing as that was only referances of that and another similar document saying about frillback breeding or crossing at all. some breeds ive seen the standard allows for frillback in show, so wondering if thats from what i heard about.. i know there is the "fantasy" breed of pigeon, and tried to contact main breeder of to discuss possabilities of breeding such a bird into them if he was inclined, as would greatly inprove what i want with his foundations, but never get anything back except same generic message to look on his sale page.

Print Tippler... Your birds are beautiful, do you sell any of them? I am looking for a mate to go with my female pigeon.

Last edited:
Love all your pigeon photos. I would like to share a few of mine - I only have 9 pigeons as pets, but I would like to build a coop and have lots more in the future.

I love the look of your Indian Fantails. I am in the market to buy a snow white pair. However I have been unable to locate any as of late in my area (New Brunswick Canada).

I owned American Fantails as a kid and although some what decorative I was unimpressed with their posture and capabilities.

Do the Indian Fantails have a carriage that resemble more of a natural pigeon?
(They seem to in any photo I have seen).
What are yours like when it comes to flying?
Do you let them free fly?
Can they avoid predators?
How much homing instinct to they have if any?

I love the look of your Indian Fantails. I am in the market to buy a snow white pair. However I have been unable to locate any as of late in my area (New Brunswick Canada).

I owned American Fantails as a kid and although some what decorative I was unimpressed with their posture and capabilities.

Do the Indian Fantails have a carriage that resemble more of a natural pigeon?
(They seem to in any photo I have seen).
What are yours like when it comes to flying?
Do you let them free fly?
Can they avoid predators?
How much homing instinct to they have if any?
I did not know they were Indian Fantails. I thought they had to have feathered feet?

They look like they do in the photos all the time. They always have the tails help up.

They can fly great, but slowly. They can't keep up with my other pigeons that do laps around the house, at all, but they don't have any problem flying up to the house roof or into tall trees.
They remind my of flying like a butterfly lol.
They free fly during the day, and they sleep in the cages at night. I don't have a coop. I have to lock them all up at night because we have a lot of pythons here and my some of my ducks and chickens got eaten last year when I let them roost outdoors.

I have not lost any pigeon to a predator (yet). Where I am the biggest problem is cats, but the birds are always looking out for them and seem to spot them easily.
They have good homing instincts as I have never lost one. Even my ring neck and zebra doves free fly. However, I don't think they would come back if I let them go further away and expected them to come home like a racing pigeon.

Back
Top Bottom