Fancy Pigeons Thread!!

hookedonpigeons

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
Rural Hall, NC
Hi everybody
smile.png
This thread is for fancy pigeon breeders to post info,pics about their breed(s) of pigeon.
Also for people that have questions about different breeds,feed meds ect.
Steps for this thread are:
#1 please tell about the breed of your pigeon.
#2 please show pics of the birds,loft,nest boxes ect.

Their are alot of old threads on this topic and i just wanted to get a new one started.
Also, do you raise pigeons for show,meat,fun or racing?
I will get pics of my birds soon. I raise picas and modenas.
So take some pics and lets get this thread started!
big_smile.png

Thanks.
Logan

I though I'd share my new American Fantasies. They had just gotten taken out of the box at the time the pictures were taken so were looking pretty ruff, but they really are beautiful. I'm looking forward to working with this new breed.

Here is my pair of German Modenas, Its my first time with pigeons and i'm very happy with these. My brother got a pair of yellow Arabian trumpeters. The Modena hen just laid the second egg for her clutch today.
LM

I have valencian figuritas and danzig highflyers.

Figuritas
Cock

Hen

Hen (daughter of above pair)

Hen (daughter of above pair)

Danzigs
Cock

Cock

Cock (father of all my other danzigs, exept one hen)

Hen

I have two other danzig hens and two other cocks, with babies that I am not sure about yet.

I love the look of your Indian Fantails. I am in the market to buy a snow white pair. However I have been unable to locate any as of late in my area (New Brunswick Canada).

I owned American Fantails as a kid and although some what decorative I was unimpressed with their posture and capabilities.

Do the Indian Fantails have a carriage that resemble more of a natural pigeon?
(They seem to in any photo I have seen).
What are yours like when it comes to flying?
Do you let them free fly?
Can they avoid predators?
How much homing instinct to they have if any?
I did not know they were Indian Fantails. I thought they had to have feathered feet?

They look like they do in the photos all the time. They always have the tails help up.

They can fly great, but slowly. They can't keep up with my other pigeons that do laps around the house, at all, but they don't have any problem flying up to the house roof or into tall trees.
They remind my of flying like a butterfly lol.
They free fly during the day, and they sleep in the cages at night. I don't have a coop. I have to lock them all up at night because we have a lot of pythons here and my some of my ducks and chickens got eaten last year when I let them roost outdoors.

I have not lost any pigeon to a predator (yet). Where I am the biggest problem is cats, but the birds are always looking out for them and seem to spot them easily.
They have good homing instincts as I have never lost one. Even my ring neck and zebra doves free fly. However, I don't think they would come back if I let them go further away and expected them to come home like a racing pigeon.

I am no expert in the show ring and I have never shown a bird at a competition.

That being said:
I received some advice about how to prepare for a show. You should clean their feet, trim toe nails and beak, give them a bath (no feather lice) about a week before the show, and alcohol/water will keep their feet clean.
Spot-clean pigeons to remove staining (especially on white feathers). Use a mild shampoo (a non-medicated pet shampoo works well). Dampen a paper towel or soft cloth with warm water and a small amount of shampoo. Hold the pigeon and dab at the stained feather(s). Rinse the cleaned area with a spray of water or a wet clean cloth, avoiding the bird's face. Let the bird dry naturally.
Are you putting some birds in a show? I hope this will help you, and good luck in the show. At times some feathers are beyond cleaning or repair myself I just pull them out (making sure there is no blood in the shaft).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom