Fancy Pigeons Thread!!

Would you allow homers to free range?
Any pigeon can 'free range'... But its best to only let them out for free flight when you are there to watch.. then train them to go back into the loft or coop.

This is because if they have constant access to fly about the area some will get killed by predators.. or other 'accidents'.

For a beginner you are better to start with the more common available pigeons.. because they will be much cheaper and usually easier to breed. Some of the rarer or more fancy kinds need special care.. some can't fly well, some need feathers clipping for breeding, and others can not even raise their own young.. which have to be fostered to other breeds.

If you want tame friendly pet pigeons then fantails are great. They breed really easily too.

If you want pigeons so you can watch them fly high in the air around the loft you can get Rollers, tumblers or homers.

If you want to race them you need homers.

If you want something pretty and also for flying around the loft.. Dutch Capuchins and German Owls are good.

Finally, if you want to eat them.. or you want some big birds that don't fly much.. utility king pigeons are great.

You can do an internet search or you tube search to see what these breeds are like.

Got my first pigeons Monday and I love them, I got 2 pairs of fantails. I have them in a big rabbit hutch right now but tomorrow they'll be going in a big 20X20 pen and a 4X4 coop which are both 4 feet high. And earlier when I went out to watch them again there was an egg on the little patch of grass I gave them so I put a nesting box with straw in there but hopefully I get them in the pen before the hen wants to sit! (Cocks are on the roost ans the hens are on the floor)

Billie
try poultry vit drops, vet rx, probios probiotics, and layer pellets. keep them at eighty to ninty degree area/s under heat lamp, on wire or clean surfaces, with Apple Cider Vinager in clean water.

Last edited:
Here are some of my show quailty picas.
80168_dscf3131.jpg

80168_dscf3105.jpg

80168_dscf2869.jpg

80168_dscf3028.jpg

And some of my modenas.I think they look nice but are not sure on quality.I have some young birds that i will take pics of tomorrow.
80168_dscf3365.jpg

80168_dscf3368.jpg

Cant wait to see some feedback from you guys
smile.png

Thanks,
Logan

Back
Top Bottom