Fancy Pigeons Thread!!

Sorry guys, I got behind, have been really sick and with the holidays...also very busy.

To answer your questions....I hope I don't forget anyone.

Lofty Dreams: Right now I am raising Old German Owls...I have a few capuchines. And also a few pair each of Mindian Fantails and Toy Modenas since I was around for their "creation" I want to work with them again. Other than that, I don't have many birds at all anymore. I believe I have around 50...while before the mink attack..which wiped out a huge stud of very valuable birds that couldn't be replaced....I had anywhere from 300-700 at a time. My two main breeds used to be tipplers and rollers.

Deerman: Yes, I have not forgotten Mr. Irving.
smile.png
I have some pictures of his birds here...they are old black and whites, but I heard they are very hard to find. I talked to a friend of his who sent me a lot of information as I have an article on the back burner that I have been trying to get done for several years on the St. Louis Arch Crested Fantail, which led into this bigger article due to the fact that everything was "refined." The guy who sent me this stuff raises the American Fantasy now, but his birds have some of the original Irving blood in them as well as a few of his birds that he has managed to keep pure as he received birds straight from Mrs. Irving after the passing of Mr. Irving. I am hoping I spelled that correctly and am not mixing up names. My actual info is filed away and I haven't looked at it in quite a while.
smile.png
I have a soft spot for rare and almost extinct breeds that I try to track down and I have tracked down info on almost all of them except 1.....which is like chasing a dinosaur. LOL A lot of the guys have told me to give up, but I never will.

Print Tippler: In that case..please by all means work something out and have a back up plan so that a breeder may carry on the work. I have seen too many times where someone is developing their own line of a certain breed or their own breed and most of those folks are in the older generation, but then something happens and usually their birds are lost forever as a loved one doesn't care and just moves them on as quickly as possible so that they don't have to deal with them. A friend of mine who passed away a good many years ago had developed an awesome strain of racing homer. We had traded back and forth and discussed ideas and all that jazz, but then he gifted me a pair of them. They were awesome...but then we fell out of touch and one day I got a phone call that he had passed away...he hadn't let on that he was sick. Well it was a mess..a guy I knew who lived close went over and the family had just left the loft open and the birds were freeflying and fending for themselves and all the neighborhood cats had taken residence in the loft and killed a lot of the birds. He said there was dead birds everywhere..it was just awful. After years of hard work, I managed to save 2 pair of them and that was it. So if something can be set up sot hat the birds will be going somewhere, and preferably along with the information and breed standard..that would be great.

Sorry to ramble, but to answer your question on structure breeds...they are like designer dogs. It is when you cross several different breeds, usually ones with some form of ornamentation like hoods or crest, in order to get one "breed." Much like a jug, chug, puggle...all those "designer" dogs. And usually when you breed a structure breed like that you end up having to keep a few pair of every breed that has went into the making of the bird so you can keep breeding back and forth. I hear it is a lot of fun, but also a lot of work and maintenance. That is why I haven't gotten into anything like that. I used to raise short face which meant twice the birds and work...but I couldn't help it..I loved my little bug eyed buddis!
smile.png

Justin
Aquatic Wilds
Night Wolf Lofts

Umm....let me look..I am not sure if I have a few laying around or not. They almost resemble their larger counterparts, but they aren't quite as thick...their legs are smaller in size and their heads aren't so bully. If I can't find any...I'll see if I can get a few within the next couple of days.
smile.png

Here are two nestmates that I bred for the Toy Modena project, it is 1/2 Toy Modena and 1/2 Field Pigeon. It is Dominant Opal with Bronzing. It is out of an Opal Tri-Schietti hen and a Toy Stencil Cock.

These two pics are of before they were moulted out as young birds. The first one, the darker check pied bird never changed much. But the second one did.
smile.png

311833_10150435516447069_551667068_10782917_1442387279_n.jpg

380455_10150435514197069_551667068_10782882_742190348_n.jpg

Now, here is a picture of the second bird after it moulted out!
smile.png
I don't know how many folks have wanted it, I am not sure if it is a cock or hen, but it appears to be a hen. I was hoping for a cock, but I guess we'll just wait and see. I know the other one is a cock, well I don't know, but am almost 100% sure. LOL

Here this one is:

295964_10150435519562069_551667068_10782975_1659684829_n.jpg

Justin
Aquatic Wilds
Night Wolf Lofts

JUSTIN HAVE YOU SEEN THE GERMAN MODENAS WOULD THEY WORK IN THE CREATION OF MINI BECAUSE THEY ARE MORE THE SIZE AND TYPE OF THE MODENA

I just wanted to pop in here real quick. I just got an offer to trade my 4 rabbits for 5 hens and a breeding pair of pigeons. I know nothing about pigeons but I think I would enjoy them as I love my birds I have now. Can anyone give me some info on them or a good place to look for beginners? Also, how hard is to breed them? What kind of market is there for pigeons? I think they are white but not sure of the breed.

Thanks!

I am getting some blue bar grizzle and saddle picas in march.Caint wait!
wee.gif

How are everyones breeders doing?I have two pair of modenas getting readdy to lay,a pair of picas getting readdy to lay and a pair of picas a week into the hatching process.Hope this breeding season turns out to be a good one.

Thanks,
Logan

Back
Top Bottom