Farm chatter

Ooh!!!! I love bunnies! I know tons about them too.
When's their birthdays?
What breeds do you want? How old? I suggest getting ones older then 6 months.
Awesome!
My one sisters birthday is tomorrow and the other is in 2 weeks.
I’m open to anything not too big. My dad’s friends wife breeds them, I think mainly lops idk. She has some that would be weaned on the 20 th of March

Awesome!
My one sisters birthday is tomorrow and the other is in 2 weeks.
I’m open to anything not too big. My dad’s friends wife breeds them, I think mainly lops idk. She has some that would be weaned on the 20 th of March
Oh wow! Are you going to get a bunny but tommow? I would wait a bit longer so you can get stuff setup.
These will be pet bunnies right?
Arr you going to get them from the lop breeder?

The reason I suggest waiting until they're older is so you can skip the teenage phase (where hormones kick in and they become aggressive) and get them fixed (which helps with litter training and makes them a lot more friendly.).
You can't bond rabbits until after they are fixed. Even if they get along as babies they may not as adults. Then you'll need separate housing.
I really recommend rescuing a pair so that they'll already be fixed and bonded.
You can often find all different breeds and ages at rescues.

Do you have stuff ready for them? You could probably oder everything from amazon and have it there in just a few days.

Some things you'll need and why:
  • A wire dog playpen. Much much cheaper than a cage, less expensive, and much much better for your bunnies. You also won't have to pay for expensive bedding that the bunnies will use as a litter box.
  • A large cat litter box. Don't bother with the small corner trays at pet stores. These are way to small and your bunnies won't use them.
  • Lots of Timothy hay (or alfalfa for ones under 6 months). Rabbits need access to unlimited fresh hay 24/7.
  • Toys. Bunnies chew a lot and need things to keep them occupied. You could make toys from toilet paper tubes and cardboard. Pet stores and amazon has lots kinds of toys.
  • Hidey houses. Rabbits are prey animals. They need spaces to hide and feel safe. They prefer ones with two entries. Cat tunnels, cardboard boxes, and cat beds work great.
  • Grooming supplies. Bunnies will groom themselves but they may injest some of their hair which could block their GI track and kill them. You'll need nail trimmers and a Bunny Hair Buster.
  • Bunny proofing stuff. Cord protectors, NIC grids, wood 2x4s. Bunnies need at least 4 hours of free roaming time a day. They love to explore and exercise. If you don't bunny proof they'll get into harmful things. Keep the floor clean too.
  • Pellets. Bunnies only need ¼ cup of pellets a day. I recommend Oxbow pellets. Available at Petco and petsmart.
  • Fresh Veggies. A handful of spring mix in the morning and at night with their pellets. You can get this at any grocery store, or you could grow it fresh from a garden.
  • Food and water dishes. Don't bother with water bottles. These are hard to clean, don't provide enough water, and can cause spinal issues. Get a water bowl instead.

Bunnies are not great pets for young children though. They are extremely delicate and could potentially bite or scratch a child. If not handled right they could do this and if they get dropped they could die or break their bones. Even if they get scared they could have a heart attack and die.
They are not beginner pets. They take lots of time and patience, and a lot of work.

They also don't do great outdoors. Heat can kill them, predators could kill them just from scaring them, you won't be able to bond with them as much, they may become aggressive because of that, and hutches are way way too small for them.
Sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to give you some info on them. I hope you find this useful though, and feel free to ask ANY questions about them :)

Oh wow! Are you going to get a bunny but tommow? I would wait a bit longer so you can get stuff setup.
These will be pet bunnies right?
Arr you going to get them from the lop breeder?

The reason I suggest waiting until they're older is so you can skip the teenage phase (where hormones kick in and they become aggressive) and get them fixed (which helps with litter training and makes them a lot more friendly.).
You can't bond rabbits until after they are fixed. Even if they get along as babies they may not as adults. Then you'll need separate housing.
I really recommend rescuing a pair so that they'll already be fixed and bonded.
You can often find all different breeds and ages at rescues.

Do you have stuff ready for them? You could probably oder everything from amazon and have it there in just a few days.

Some things you'll need and why:
  • A wire dog playpen. Much much cheaper than a cage, less expensive, and much much better for your bunnies. You also won't have to pay for expensive bedding that the bunnies will use as a litter box.
  • A large cat litter box. Don't bother with the small corner trays at pet stores. These are way to small and your bunnies won't use them.
  • Lots of Timothy hay (or alfalfa for ones under 6 months). Rabbits need access to unlimited fresh hay 24/7.
  • Toys. Bunnies chew a lot and need things to keep them occupied. You could make toys from toilet paper tubes and cardboard. Pet stores and amazon has lots kinds of toys.
  • Hidey houses. Rabbits are prey animals. They need spaces to hide and feel safe. They prefer ones with two entries. Cat tunnels, cardboard boxes, and cat beds work great.
  • Grooming supplies. Bunnies will groom themselves but they may injest some of their hair which could block their GI track and kill them. You'll need nail trimmers and a Bunny Hair Buster.
  • Bunny proofing stuff. Cord protectors, NIC grids, wood 2x4s. Bunnies need at least 4 hours of free roaming time a day. They love to explore and exercise. If you don't bunny proof they'll get into harmful things. Keep the floor clean too.
  • Pellets. Bunnies only need ¼ cup of pellets a day. I recommend Oxbow pellets. Available at Petco and petsmart.
  • Fresh Veggies. A handful of spring mix in the morning and at night with their pellets. You can get this at any grocery store, or you could grow it fresh from a garden.
  • Food and water dishes. Don't bother with water bottles. These are hard to clean, don't provide enough water, and can cause spinal issues. Get a water bowl instead.

Bunnies are not great pets for young children though. They are extremely delicate and could potentially bite or scratch a child. If not handled right they could do this and if they get dropped they could die or break their bones. Even if they get scared they could have a heart attack and die.
They are not beginner pets. They take lots of time and patience, and a lot of work.

They also don't do great outdoors. Heat can kill them, predators could kill them just from scaring them, you won't be able to bond with them as much, they may become aggressive because of that, and hutches are way way too small for them.
Sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to give you some info on them. I hope you find this useful though, and feel free to ask ANY questions about them :)
Tysm! I will not be getting one tomorrow, it’ll be at least 2 weeks possibly more. Yup they’ll be pets. I probably will get them from her. We have a cage, it just needs a little fixing.
Thanks so much for all the info! I’ll talk more later & keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom