Farm chatter

What does everyone have to do if they want to go swimming now a days? We have to rent the pool. We did and are going tomorrow
I cant remember the last time I went swimming, unless you count when we accidentally flipped the canoe and had to swim to the bank :p
we have a hot tub & an actual big bath tub in the house but that's about it

so experiment give-chicks-to-broodies got off to a rough start
we put together some cages so the broodies could be with their chicks but not with each other - but still in the same pen so they had a roof and a predator proof enclosure.
I had literally 4 broodies to choose from & i was trying for just 2. put broody #1 in a nest box and put her in the cage. realized I should have put an egg under her if I wanted her to think it was still her nest. put broody #2 in the nest box with an egg and put her in the second cage. went to sneak an egg under broody #1 and she wasnt having it. swapped her out for broody #3... at some point I brought in broody #4 but then ended up back with broody #1 again and I just realized I dont actually know which hen is which anymore 😂 three of them live together / belong to the same rooster but one of them doesnt ... anyway, put chicks under 2 hens last night, got up when the rooster crowed this morning - literally - to go check on them.
now I'm renaming the hens cage #1 and cage #2 for simplicity. both hens got up with the roosters & walked around to do their broody poops. one of the chicks for cage #2 hen came out of the box and she pecked at it and then went back in the box to warm everyone else and left that one out in the cold. cage #1 had multiple chicks come out of the box and go to eat, cage #1 hen seemed to not understand they were supposed to be hers & kept standing on top of the nest box instead of going back to the loud babies.
cage #2 hen still hasn't noticed the one lone baby at this point so I decide to cut my losses & i pile all the babies into one nest box to take them back inside. cage #2 hen hears them screaming and jumps in the box & settles down on all 17 of them. so I ended up picking her up with whichever chicks happened to stay in her wings & put her back in a nest box & took the rest inside. the ones inside are under a heat lamp and are nice and quiet. the ones outside are under a hen and are quiet as well.

Y’all I had a dream I hatched six tiny duck eggs and got three chicks and three ducks. I posted about it on farm chatter. You know how supposedly you aren’t capable of reading during a dream? Well that’s not true. I was even spelling and typing plus reading y’all’s posts. 👏😂
Were the posts the same as the real posts or no?

Back
Top Bottom