Farm math?...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BCBunnies, May 16, 2011.

1. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Okay so by now my DH has learned that chicken math can be applied to rabbits even without the actual "breeding like rabbits" effect taking place. One trip to the store for a mouse for the snake wound up with a new herd buck (very very lucky deal [​IMG] ) And another time I was headed over to check on a single rabbit when I wound up buying here and her 2 sisters.... [​IMG]

So back to farm math... Well we are in the process of moving (need more room for critters which I'm still clueless about why we would need that [​IMG] [​IMG] ) and my fiancee heads over to get a load of stuff in the car and what does he bring home.... Not only a cat but an indoor cat (on his insistance) and he's allergic to cats....

And I thought I was bad with rabbits....

Just wondered if anyone else's "chicken math" had rubbed off onto other areas of their menagerie?....

This brings our total up to 1 ball python, 2 crested geckos, 1 indoor kitty, 2 inherited outdoor kitties (free with the house lol), 5 and a half rabbits and coming soon 6 EE pullets, 6 NHR pullets, 1 NHR roo, 10 Bourbon red turkeys and 2-3 goats + whatever else I can talk my DH into [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    [​IMG] yes, it does seem to rub off! I always tell the fam to never let me go into a pet store/go see an animal by myself..i'll bring back more then what i went for!

3. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was horrible at horse math when we first got our farm. I went from 2 horses to 7 in one year. Luckily I eventually came to my senses and realized that there's no point in owning more horses than you can ride- I'm down to one horse I own and one horse I'm training for someone else. [​IMG]

It's so easy to get crazy with the farm math when you have lots of land. Unfortunately my husband HATES to put up fence. He'll build me anything I want, as long as there's no fence involved.

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I went from 2 horses to 4 horses and a mule in less than a year. It wouldnt be so bad but I cant ride any of them as they are all Minis [​IMG]

5. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    My husband wants to do farm math by adding....spending money to buy more sheep now and I'd rather do farm math by multiplication...waiting for our 6 sheep to turn into 12 sheep next year, without spending more money. I like my farm math better.

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] Oh that's brilliant. Love It!

I think we're doing great to ONLY have three dogs, one beta and four hens... but then we're in the middle of DFW... in a town so obsessed with Codes that they created the Code Ranger program (train "good citizens" to rat out their neighbors) so not to surprising... now when we move to a bigger (country!) place... that's when all heck is gonna break loose... I've got plans... DH worries about my plans... and The Move is AT LEAST three years off. Poor guy.

7. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Hey PineappleMama I didn't realize you could have chickens in town and DFW at that. You're pretty close too I'm just south of Waco myself. And Kevin really shocked me because he believes in the whole farm math by multiplying not adding by $$. But we are expanding yet again the Mini-rex doe is definately pregnant her belly has doubled in size and she has til the 26th. I can't wait to see what colors and patterns she throws wish I could post pics so yall could see the sweet little guys too. Oh well maybe by the time she has them I'll be able to post pics. [​IMG]

Yay for farm math where 1+1 can equal 2 or 12 depending on litter size! [​IMG]

8. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    I seem to have math issues when it comes to letting a cat outside (my cats are all indoor/outdoor cats)

I open the door to let 1 out and 3 come in - that's just bad math :)

9. HoldensLandingChickGirl

HoldensLandingChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Northwest Connecticut
    I seem to be having a problem with farm math myself. We originally were going to have a few chickens, a few guineas, 2 goats and 2 alpacas. That's it. We currently have 21 chickens with 5 more day olds on the way in June, 15 day old guineas on the way later this month, we have the 2 goats and 2 alpacas reserved and I am researching angora bunnies and will be buying mine at the end of this month as well ... and am starting to research pygoras and cashmere goats and sheep as well ...

10. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    A few years ago my dr. told me to get a hobby, get a couple animals, well a friend of mine found out and sent over 5 pigeons, 5 hens 1 rooster and a duck. To date we have 12 pigeons, (did have over 30 until the neighbors cat got into the pen). 2 burros, 8 goats, 16 ducks, 5 guines, 5 turkeys, somewhere abour 20 rabbits, 5 roosters, who knows how many hens, 14 new chicks in the brooder and 2 full incubators, almost for got the llama.

My companion said that the next time my dr. tells me to get a hobby make sure it doesnt eat![​IMG]

We are going to be cutting back and getting rid of most of the goats but we will be getting another llama and did I mention the 9 geese.

I dont know what we would have if we lived in the country.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by