Farm Related Photography. Pictures are the best Advertisement!

Best sunrise photo I've taken!
AWESOME!!!

I have two blanket trashers!!! And they're brothers!!!
This morning AND yesterday morning....I have found a horse in his stall....naked....with his blanket on the ground DESTROYED. Yesterday it was our PMU gelding Raisin. He managed to undress himself, at what hours, I'll never know. I know he tore his blanket once it hit the ground. He likes to pull and chew on things that are on the ground. He generally likes to put things in his mouth to play with. lol Well...he got himself a new blanket. And this was blanket #2 he's shredded! Bad Raisin.
hmm.png

Here he is with his new clothes. Looks quite proud of himself if you ask me.
idunno.gif
Too bad I didn't think to take a picture of the destroyed blanket....it was quite something.

Then there's brother Ocho. He was from the same batch of PMU's, I'm quite certain the whole group of babies we got had the same sire. They'll be 5 this spring. So, Ocho took a turn with his blanket last night and we discovered his broken blanket in his stall this morning. As you can see, all straps are still attached and buckled. He somehow managed to slip the blanket over his head...no other way he could have undressed himself like this. I don't know what happened to his leg straps...? Those would have kept the blanket on. These young horses sometimes drive me nuts. lol
So there's Ocho...with his guilty look on his face wearing his new outfit....and the trashed blanket. It doesn't look as bad in this picture. When I opened the whole thing up and spread the blanket wide open.....it wasn't very pretty. lol

Excellent job boys. Excellent job. No more blanket parties!!!
rant.gif

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone shots....at least they made good stories. LOL

I have two blanket trashers!!! And they're brothers!!!
This morning AND yesterday morning....I have found a horse in his stall....naked....with his blanket on the ground DESTROYED. Yesterday it was our PMU gelding Raisin. He managed to undress himself, at what hours, I'll never know. I know he tore his blanket once it hit the ground. He likes to pull and chew on things that are on the ground. He generally likes to put things in his mouth to play with. lol Well...he got himself a new blanket. And this was blanket #2 he's shredded! Bad Raisin.
hmm.png

Here he is with his new clothes. Looks quite proud of himself if you ask me.
idunno.gif
Too bad I didn't think to take a picture of the destroyed blanket....it was quite something.

Then there's brother Ocho. He was from the same batch of PMU's, I'm quite certain the whole group of babies we got had the same sire. They'll be 5 this spring. So, Ocho took a turn with his blanket last night and we discovered his broken blanket in his stall this morning. As you can see, all straps are still attached and buckled. He somehow managed to slip the blanket over his head...no other way he could have undressed himself like this. I don't know what happened to his leg straps...? Those would have kept the blanket on. These young horses sometimes drive me nuts. lol
So there's Ocho...with his guilty look on his face wearing his new outfit....and the trashed blanket. It doesn't look as bad in this picture. When I opened the whole thing up and spread the blanket wide open.....it wasn't very pretty. lol

Excellent job boys. Excellent job. No more blanket parties!!!
rant.gif

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone shots....at least they made good stories. LOL

We have a four year old that did the same thing out in the pasture. We found his blanket at the bottom of a hill, and you could see several areas in the snow where it appears he was rolling around trying to get it off. I don't know how he did without breaking his neck or a leg.

I know I am being really dumb here, but why do you blanket your horses?

In cold climates, it becomes necessary to blanket horses when the temperatures get low. Here in NJ almost all the horses I see are blanketed in the winter. So basically for the same reason we wear jackets.

Is it really necessary, or is it the preference of the horse owner?
Here in Northern Wisconsin, I hardly ever see any horses with blankets unless they are trimmed up for show and then kept in the barn most of the time. In fact, the neighbors horses have a 3-sided shelter in their pasture and unless it is sleeting, the horses are hardly ever in it. It was -10 this morning and his horses were out in the pasture pretending to graze in the snow (he spreads hay for them out in the pasture to keep them occupied. They have hay in the round-bale feeder to keep them full).

Are these horses shaved or trimmed or something that they do not get a winter coat? I love wooly winter horses.

Anyway, Sorry that they are destroying their blankets. I would like to be a fly on the wall, watching the one pull it off over his head though!

@thechxwhisperer Nice pictures. Are those eggs blue? they look like they have a blue tint on my computer screen. They both look pretty big but that one looks huge!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom