Farm Related Photography. Pictures are the best Advertisement!

The nurse mare industry is kept "hush hush" for a reason. Apparently, it's somewhat common with the race horses but nobody really talks about it. I understand the value of being able to have a mare for your foal, if you lost your own mare for example, and ended up with an orphan baby. But the fact that those nurse mares are just bred and bred to be rented out, and their babies are kicked to the curb, that I don't understand... :confused:

The mares that are bred and then rented out can be any breed. They're not necessarily Thoroughbreds. Our foals, that we rescued, were mixed breeds. The father was an Appaloosa-Hanoverian-Shire mix. Mothers were mostly Hanoverian-Appaloosa-something else mixes. I guess the particular farmer preferred those breeds. Another industry, that's sad also, is the Premarin industry. The Premarin is a hormone replacement therapy (HRT) drug for women with menopause. The word "premarin" itself comes from PREgnant MAre uRINe. Literally. The drug is made with conjugated equine estrogen which is made out of pregnant mare urine. This is a whole story on it's own. We have rescued hundreds of PMU foals within the last 8 years. Here's a good article, short and sweet, on the PMU's http://www.horsefund.org/pmu-fact-sheet.php

How does one find the PMU's and nurse foals? There are several rescue groups out there that do their best to save these foals. We (Ray of Light Farm) have worked with EARS (http://www.foalrescue.com/) to help with the PMU foals. And I believe Anna Twinney and some other people were involved in the rescue of the nurse foals two years ago. I didn't get the whole story, I went with another person to pick up the foals from New York. It was a bit shady. We met the woman with our trailer in a parking lot of a bowling alley and transferred the little babies from her trailer into ours.

Oh, and I've read about the Last Chance Corral in Ohio that works with a lot of the nurse foals. http://www.lastchancecorral.org/

I hope someday you can have your Mustang or a Chincoteague pony! If you go with the Mustang, do your research on how to understand and work with such a horse. They are not like our typical domesticated horses, that have been around humans since birth in most cases. We had 4 wild horses at the farm when I first started working here. In the 2 years they spent with us, we could barely halter them. You couldn't get near them. And sadly, we didn't have the time, manpower or finances to have someone work with these horses. We chose to find the horses a place where they can live out their lives in peace and NOT have to deal with humans. We felt it was best for them to just be horses. We didn't want to put them through the trauma of being "trained" when it wasn't necessary. They went to a sanctuary type of situation where they have acres and acres of land to live on, with other horses. Last we heard, they were happy and healthy. I wish more horses had happy endings like that. It's so hard finding the right homes.. 

Yeah, I can definitely understand it for orphaned foals but it's so sad they're just bred and bred. That's gotta be hard on the mares bodies too.

And I think I've actually heard of PMU a long time ago but had completely forgotten about it. Are the mares just kept in stalls their whole life or something?

And what happens to these and the nurse foals? They just let them die or do they try to kill them or?

I'm guessing it's not illegal then? :(

I'll have to look into those rescues eventually.

Thanks, I hope so too. :) and I'll definitely research. And it's probably definitely not as easy as they make it look on TV and movies and that show. Probably takes a lot more effort. And some of them probably aren't cut out for it and it's better to go to a sanctuary like you said. I actually feel like a lot of them should be. I don't see why they're even rounded up to begin with. I mean who cares if there's a lot of them? I sure don't. I love them. Or is it more a matter of.not enough food or to get money to manage them? And have you ever heard of that one in I think South Dakota?

Yeah, I can definitely understand it for orphaned foals but it's so sad they're just bred and bred. That's gotta be hard on the mares bodies too.

And I think I've actually heard of PMU a long time ago but had completely forgotten about it. Are the mares just kept in stalls their whole life or something?

And what happens to these and the nurse foals? They just let them die or do they try to kill them or?

I'm guessing it's not illegal then?
sad.png

I'll have to look into those rescues eventually.

Thanks, I hope so too.
smile.png
and I'll definitely research. And it's probably definitely not as easy as they make it look on TV and movies and that show. Probably takes a lot more effort. And some of them probably aren't cut out for it and it's better to go to a sanctuary like you said. I actually feel like a lot of them should be. I don't see why they're even rounded up to begin with. I mean who cares if there's a lot of them? I sure don't. I love them. Or is it more a matter of.not enough food or to get money to manage them? And have you ever heard of that one in I think South Dakota?
The PMU mares are kept in standing stalls during their pregnancy. Once they foal out, they're sent out to pasture with their babies for some months. They're also bred back right at foal heat...which is shortly after the foal has been born. When the foals are taken away/weaned, the mares go back to their standing stalls and the foals either go to slaughter houses or the few lucky ones are rescued. I think the same happens to the nurse foals as well. Some die very early on because they're not getting the proper nutrition from their mothers to begin with.
I guess it's not illegal..at least not what they do to the PMU's. They always find some loop hole that makes what they do "legal", or at least it's within those lines so that legal action cannot be taken.

The very little I know about mustangs and other wild horses. I think the reason they are rounded up in some cases is because the horses are damaging the land by foraging and traveling around, just doing what horses do. I would think that it's because there isn't enough things for them to eat, so they turn to other resources. Why wild horses are moved off areas where there IS enough food, I don't know..? It's a shame. Horses, mustangs in particular, have been a part of the American history for so long. Why destroy it now??

The PMU mares are kept in standing stalls during their pregnancy. Once they foal out, they're sent out to pasture with their babies for some months. They're also bred back right at foal heat...which is shortly after the foal has been born. When the foals are taken away/weaned, the mares go back to their standing stalls and the foals either go to slaughter houses or the few lucky ones are rescued. I think the same happens to the nurse foals as well. Some die very early on because they're not getting the proper nutrition from their mothers to begin with.
I guess it's not illegal..at least not what they do to the PMU's. They always find some loop hole that makes what they do "legal", or at least it's within those lines so that legal action cannot be taken.

The very little I know about mustangs and other wild horses. I think the reason they are rounded up in some cases is because the horses are damaging the land by foraging and traveling around, just doing what horses do. I would think that it's because there isn't enough things for them to eat, so they turn to other resources. Why wild horses are moved off areas where there IS enough food, I don't know..? It's a shame. Horses, mustangs in particular, have been a part of the American history for so long. Why destroy it now??

Sorry, I forgot to answer but wow that's sad :/ at least they get to go out briefly with the foals though. How come they keep them, need the hormones to work? I wish were more were adopted out though.

And ohhh thay makes sense then. I can kind of see if they were out of food but yeah I agree, if they're not causing problems who cares? I mean, they've been there so long. Can't just wipe out every animal we don't want around aha

The photos of my tour on an awesome peafowl/bird farm. The lady also had Ostriches but on a different property so I couldn't get any photos. I need to go back in the Spring when her peacocks have their trains. They just got done molting, that's why they are kind of bald. They were still beautiful though! If you have questions on what color is what and other questions just ask.
1st Greenhouse

Java peahen.

Java Green peacock in back and Java Green peahen in front.

Java Green peahen.

Java Green peacock

2nd Greenhouse pen.

Emu! They were friendly and soft. They have an awesome vocalization. It sounds like a marching bass drum or like Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon!

Oh wow that's so cool birdrain I'm so jealous my grandparents' neighbor has some peafowl (they have just about everything) lol and I have always wanted some so I think you should take me under your wing lol
Until reading your posts I didn't know they could be so tame now I want one even more but it will probably be a year or two until we can get some. Of course before we get them I want to be sure they're right for us and do a ton of research. What's your favorite color? Pros and cons of owning them?

The photos of my tour on an awesome peafowl/bird farm. The lady also had Ostriches but on a different property so I couldn't get any photos. I need to go back in the Spring when her peacocks have their trains. They just got done molting, that's why they are kind of bald. They were still beautiful though! If you have questions on what color is what and other questions just ask.
1st Greenhouse

Java peahen.

Java Green peahen.

Java Green peacock

2nd Greenhouse pen.

Emu! They were friendly and soft. They have an awesome vocalization. It sounds like a marching bass drum or like Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon!

Amazing!

1st Greenhouse

Java peahen.

Java Green peahen.

Java Green peacock

2nd Greenhouse pen.

OMG!! Those mother cluckers are expensive to buy and to keep.

Back
Top Bottom