Farm Related Photography. Pictures are the best Advertisement!

Oh wow that's so cool birdrain I'm so jealous my grandparents' neighbor has some peafowl (they have just about everything) lol and I have always wanted some so I think you should take me under your wing lol
Until reading your posts I didn't know they could be so tame now I want one even more but it will probably be a year or two until we can get some. Of course before we get them I want to be sure they're right for us and do a ton of research. What's your favorite color? Pros and cons of owning them?
That's a tough one for my favorite color. I like all the colors there are. My favorite would probably be the White or Indian Blue, since I own those two kinds and Whites are more exotic in my area even though in other areas they are very common. I only own 6 peafowl: 2 Whites, 2 Indian Blues, 1 Indian Blue Black Shoulder, and 1 Spalding Split to White. The pictures I took were of a farm I got to visit in Eastern Idaho where I bought a White peahen. I'll post some pics of my hen later when I get them time. I have to wait a long time though before I go buy more since I will be going to college fall 2016 for 8 years to be a vet and then another few years before I get a farm and start raising animals again.

Last edited:
Oh wow that's so cool birdrain I'm so jealous my grandparents' neighbor has some peafowl (they have just about everything) lol and I have always wanted some so I think you should take me under your wing lol
Until reading your posts I didn't know they could be so tame now I want one even more but it will probably be a year or two until we can get some. Of course before we get them I want to be sure they're right for us and do a ton of research. What's your favorite color? Pros and cons of owning them?
Pros:
You have a beautiful bird that supplies around 200 or more beautiful feathers you could sell or make crafts or decorations from.
There are many colors to chose from.
They are beautiful to watch when fanning.
They can be tamed and trained for showmanship.
They eat snakes, lizards, and small mammals like mice; or at least kill.
When penned they very rarely call.
If free range you can go feather hunting if you like feather hunting in late summer early fall, you don't have to pick up the feathers.
They perch high if free range to keep away from predators.
They can make good guard dogs. Sometimes they call if they hear or see predators or something new on the property.
Cons:
If free range they can be noisy.
Free range they sometimes perch on vehicles. They want to perch as high as possible to keep a look out that's why vehicles are their choice to perch on.
If you clip the wings and have them free range they're easier target to predators.
They can fly away if free range.
Sometimes they become aggressive (children pulling feathers). None of my peafowl are but I've heard and seen people get attacked though the person deserved it.
If free range hens that are broody can be eaten.

In my opinion Pros out weigh the Cons. Especially if you know how to prevent or what causes the cons you can prevent them for the most part. My peafowl are penned so I have just about all the cons taken away. My peafowl still call but it's only a mating call during breeding season (March to July in ID), and only in the morning and evening not in the hot afternoon, or an alarm call to let us know if something new is on the property, though it's just a few honks. My males don't call when it's really hot. The one con that I try to prevent the best I can is children pulling feathers. Though some kids when I'm talking to other people can sneak up behind me and grab the tail or train feathers and tug and it puts my bird off balance and the kid gets hit by the wing which stings a lot, doesn't help when the bird's wing is about 2.5 feet and a lot of muscle.

Beautiful peas... wow the javas
love.gif

Thanks birdrain92 yeah I saw where you said that was someone else's farm its beautiful. I also saw where you posted several of your pics and they're stunning. I really love the white but I also love a lot of the other colors that I've seen. I read somewhere that there are purple or similar to purple that would be cool to see. How large of an enclosure do the need? Like chickens could they be trained to go back to a cool or run at night if left to free range? Our neighbors let theirs free range but I feel like their numbers may have gone down in the last year. I would eventually if possible like to allow mine some free range time but also have a safe place for them as well. I think I need a book with all of the colors and variations to decide which ones I'll want when I get some. :) is the Indian blue the one everyone is most familiar with?

Thanks birdrain92 yeah I saw where you said that was someone else's farm its beautiful. I also saw where you posted several of your pics and they're stunning. I really love the white but I also love a lot of the other colors that I've seen. I read somewhere that there are purple or similar to purple that would be cool to see. How large of an enclosure do the need? Like chickens could they be trained to go back to a cool or run at night if left to free range? Our neighbors let theirs free range but I feel like their numbers may have gone down in the last year. I would eventually if possible like to allow mine some free range time but also have a safe place for them as well. I think I need a book with all of the colors and variations to decide which ones I'll want when I get some.
smile.png
is the Indian blue the one everyone is most familiar with?
Indian Blue is the common like this one. Yes there are Purple peafowl. peafowlimagedatabase.weebly.com They have pictures of Purple peafowl and other colors. There are pictures still missing but I've donated some of my photos of my peafowl to them. They show a Purple peacock vs. Indian Blue peacock too. Just go around the website, it's really good website. Here's a list of all the peafowl varieties and species recognized by the UPA (United Peafowl Association). They don't have all the pictures unfortunately. http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/PeafowlPhotoGallery1.html
This is Colbolt my Indian Blue peacock and if you look closely behind his train you can see my Indian Blue peahen Sage.

Last edited:
Which birds? Emus I've never raised and they are big so I'm sure they are expensive to have. Peafowl aren't too bad.
Not sure what the price for emus is but I know that at Murray McMurray Hatchery they charge $305.36 for eight blue peafowl, $582.88 for eight assorted rare breed peafowl, $525.00 for two juvenile white peafowl, $300.00 for two juvenile blue peafowl (They used to charge more). Not sure what the prices are for other hatcheries. Also they are bigger birds than chickens, ducks, quail….. and require more space and feeding.

Not sure what the price for emus is but I know that at Murray McMurray Hatchery they charge $305.36 for eight blue peafowl, $582.88 for eight assorted rare breed peafowl, $525.00 for two juvenile white peafowl, $300.00 for two juvenile blue peafowl (They used to charge more). Not sure what the prices are for other hatcheries. Also they are bigger birds than chickens, ducks, quail….. and require more space and feeding.

Yep. My White peahen cost me $150. It just depends on who they come from. Such as I sell Indian Blue peachicks at $20 each. Whites I'll be selling at $40 each. My Spalding peahen was $15 as a chick but if you try to buy Spaldings from other people they will sell for a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom