Farm Related Photography. Pictures are the best Advertisement!

Yeah and the nurse mare ones. Maybe they need to raise them for a bit in order to get the milk and hormones and everything pumping so they're willing to nurse another foal? Although I would think the maternal instincts and hormones would be immediate and for the PMU ones it is pregnant mares so the foal part maybe doesn't really matter so maybe it really is for the foals sake. I sure hope so. Or maybe to look less suspicious
A mare in foal will produce milk whether they have a foal or not. The milk production begins shortly before the foal is born. And a mare that has already had foals, like the nurse mares for example, the instincts are immediate when the foal is born. The mother knows what to do. So once the nurse foal is removed soon after birth and the mare is sent out to take care of another foal, they're usually pretty good about taking on another foal. Not all mares accept another mares foal, but I'm guessing these nurse mares do pretty well. If they didn't, I can't imagine the farms would keep them because they wouldn't be of any use for the farmer.

How sad
sad.png

That makes a lot of sense! I hope it's for the foals sake then. I wonder though what they do with the so-called useless mares. :( oh also, actually, speaking of that, what do they do after they get old? And when do they stop breeding them? Both the PMU and nurse.

That makes a lot of sense! I hope it's for the foals sake then. I wonder though what they do with the so-called useless mares.
sad.png
oh also, actually, speaking of that, what do they do after they get old? And when do they stop breeding them? Both the PMU and nurse.

PMU? dog food, or the lucky ones get a new home. can't speak for the nurse mares...... they stop breeding when they can't take anymore.

I know. that's why adoption or rescue is better than breeding! those babies are perfectly good horses; and some actually have good bloodlines too!

That makes a lot of sense! I hope it's for the foals sake then. I wonder though what they do with the so-called useless mares.
sad.png
oh also, actually, speaking of that, what do they do after they get old? And when do they stop breeding them? Both the PMU and nurse.
PMU? dog food, or the lucky ones get a new home. can't speak for the nurse mares...... they stop breeding when they can't take anymore.

Once the mares are too old to breed, or can't be bred for whatever reason, they go to slaughter. Or the lucky ones are adopted. Sometimes the farms keep some of the fillies that are born, to replace the older mares.
And like Bubbles said, they stop breeding the mares when they can't be bred anymore and become "useless".

Once the mares are too old to breed, or can't be bred for whatever reason, they go to slaughter. Or the lucky ones are adopted. Sometimes the farms keep some of the fillies that are born, to replace the older mares.
And like Bubbles said, they stop breeding the mares when they can't be bred anymore and become "useless".

Wow that's so awful. :( I thought slaughter was made illegal here a few years ago? Or they just send them across the border or to private places that aren't technically "slaughter houses"? :(

I hope more get adopted

Back
Top Bottom