Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Wow, lots of info here! Well, I've just made the switch from hatchery stock to 1 pure breed! I set 18 eggs on Sunday the 9th. The plan originally, was to wait until next year, but I couldn't help myself! They sell so quickly, being a rare breed. They are Belgian Malines from Bart Nagel in Ontario. I thought he was too far from me, but really not. Made a day trip out of it. Super guy & I loved the size of his birds! You could put a dinner plate on the rooster's back! I had been eyeing his birds for the last year on another forum & decided to take the plunge. The Malines will be our homestead flock, mainly for meat & hatching our own eggs. They can be clumsy broodies.

I'm really new to the breeding game here, so what I really want to know is, how do I keep this breed going & doing it justice? It was mentioned that an out-cross to a good quality barred rock could be used to create a new meat breed. Don't think I really want to go that route, but at some point, I'll need some genetic diversity to keep line healthy & pure. Out-crossing would be a last resort. I have yet to buy the SOP, so I would appreciate any & all advice! I will also inquire of Bart himself on the other forum.
I would not worry about breeding yet. Just enjoy your birds, watch them grow out, and get to know them. As they progress, get familiar with a simple breeding plan. Find a book or two on breeding, selection for utility traits, etc. It is not rocket science. It just takes time, a want to, and an eye for it.

I would look to your source for help as you move along. He may prove to be a lot of help. He may be all the back up you need. At least, if you get going backwards, you might have a shot at a second chance. And if you do move forward, and need a male, you know where to get one. You may never need to outcross to another breed.

First, just enjoy keeping and caring for the birds.

Enjoy your birds.

I would not worry about breeding yet. Just enjoy your birds, watch them grow out, and get to know them. As they progress, get familiar with a simple breeding plan. Find a book or two on breeding, selection for utility traits, etc. It is not rocket science. It just takes time, a want to, and an eye for it.

I would look to your source for help as you move along. He may prove to be a lot of help. He may be all the back up you need. At least, if you get going backwards, you might have a shot at a second chance. And if you do move forward, and need a male, you know where to get one. You may never need to outcross to another breed.

First, just enjoy keeping and caring for the birds.

Enjoy your birds.
Yes!!

Thanks gjensen! That's exactly what I did for previous hatchery stock, & then realized I was taking the long, slow road. I'm not getting any younger, so I really want to make a contribution to this fabulous breed. I will most definitely enjoy these birds! They are quite docile, from what I've seen of Bart's birds. I'm waiting to hear back from him. In meantime, I will do more research!

I plan to go with blue orpingtons and blue hamburgs. My kids raise silkies for fun and I reserve the right to put whatever eggs I want under broodies. I know many are saying to go with only one breed but I feel that we need seperate egg and meat breeds due to the very large size of my family. We also have yokohamas as yard art but my personal focus will be the hamburgs and orpingtons. Thoughts? Advice?

That's excellent. Those are two great breeds, and the option of two breeds, especially when they have two different functions can be very good. We have White Dorkings and Anconas, which is a very comparable pairing to your proposed plan. Making both blue will really help you focus in on and master the intricacies of that pattern. Remember that, although it sounds like a self color, it's actually considered a particolored bird because of the lacing.

One for eggs, one for meat, both for beauty.
Nice move.

Last edited:
How would I go about finding out what the SOP for my breeds actually are? We are only wanting to breed for personal/family use but if I'm going to be a crazy bird lady id like to do it right :) the hamburgs and orpingtons we have had in the past were the best producers and hardiest free rangers we ever had. I want to go with the blues purely for asthetic reasons.

Order it from the American Poultry association website. With shipping it fifty-ish dollar, but unless you become a SOP collector (I now own four...and there are many that are much..much worse) it will be a one time purchase that will completely alter the way you do your birds--be sure to read the first fifty-ish pages dozens and dozens of times.

What a fun endeavor! It sounds that you've thought it out thoroughly and are ready to go. Get that SOP!!

Last edited:
Yeah, I realize I've gone into the deep end here with the Malines. It just sounded like the perfect breed for us for the meat. These are 11-13 lb birds. The fat is spread throughout the muscle, not just over top of it. Perfect for free range. There are few faults in my eyes about this breed, if they are everything the breeders say about them. I believe if they can be brought back from near extinction, they would be very popular. I just learned that another man who had bought a trio of them back in December, has found another flock. I will contact Bart & get his recommendations. Thanks to everyone for your timely responses!
If you feel passionate about the breed then you are likely to enjoy the challenges of having this breed. If the birds don't turn you on, why bother. Love the size 11-13#? yum.

I'm seriously considering switching from raising royal palm to blue slate turkeys as well. My research is telling me that. They are better meat birds but I can't find much on tempermant.

I'm seriously considering switching from raising royal palm to blue slate turkeys as well. My research is telling me that. They are better meat birds but I can't find much on tempermant.
I passed on the royal palms because everything I read indicated they are a different build. My auburns are pretty big and I like the size on the BR I have. The slates are very pretty though. Auburns are not APA, but a very old breed apparently. All my toms have easy temperaments--maybe it is the lines I have, or the way I raised them, or both.

Royal Palms are supposed to have the same type as other turkeys so the carcass should just be a smaller version of the same, which has been my experience. They're size is a disadvantage on Thanksgiving, perhaps, but for the rest of the year, they can be seen as advantageous, because they don't dominate your culinary world after cooking one. A nice meal, a sandwich or two, and that's it, maybe some stock.

Back
Top Bottom