Fast way to kill Mites

jahliciyaadaddy

Songster
7 Years
Aug 17, 2016
Shreveport - La
The best way to kill mites is to warm some water up but not too hot , pour a little soap and soak your chicken for few minutes! If you begin to bathe your chicken in the process you will notice the mites dead in the water as the soap kills the mites extremely fast!

Never have I had any problems with a soapy warm bath with my chickens! Once they feel the warmth of the water they be just relaxed an come. If you do this process be sure to dry them as much as possible an get their body temperature warm cozy!

Everything I used
•big bowl
•warm water
•towel
•soap
•blow dryer

PLEASE REMEMBER TO KEEP NESTING BOXES AN COOP CLEAN AND TREATED AS WELL!!! :bun
This way worked perfect for me with no harm what so ever! My chickens where 1OO% better clean an smelling good Extremely Good!! No need for any home remedies thats including different types of things that makes your chickens smell! Try this an get rid of those nasty mites immediately **

Last edited:
I ended up both treating my chickens, and the cause of the mites at once...
I put some DE dust down in my chickens dustbathing patches after I treated the nestboxes and sleeping area, unaware that the sparrows also used the dustbathing spots... Until I spotted one rolling around in it! I haven't seen an itchy sparrow scratching and neither have I seen any mites on my chickens since then. :p

If only I could dust the neighbors dogs and cats so easily so that my cat would remain flea free! :lau

This treatment might remove mites or lice from the bird, but the environment MUST be treated as well, especially with mites.

Also not recommended in the winter. I'd have chicken-sicles.
True! And yes I forgot to mention whenever I do this routine I keep the ones that I've bathe inside till its okay to do other but I never bathe them an put them back out in the cold an keeping the nest box and coop clean is a must as well:thumbsup:jumpy

I'm currently battling frost bite here, but also found some mites. How in the hay can I treat them and the coop is these below zero nights????? HELP PLEASE
Dust for birds from Tractor Supply
dust_2.jpg dust_1.jpg
Spray for coop - also at Tractor Supply
gordons_4.PNG

I prefer the 40% concentration. It is only about twice as expensive but goes 4 times further. One bottle like pictured will make 25 gallons of spray and kill mites like a ball peen hammer with only 10 to 30 seconds of time spent per chicken, with NO negative impact on your flock. Just a lite spritz is all it takes. In fact Permethrin is so safe that it is approved to kill flies in a milk parlor.

I'm currently battling frost bite here, but also found some mites. How in the hay can I treat them and the coop is these below zero nights????? HELP PLEASE
A quick spritz is all it takes. Treat early in the day and by roosting time your flock will all be dry. there is no requirement that you half drown your chickens in Permethrin.

I prefer the 40% concentration. It is only about twice as expensive but goes 4 times further. One bottle like pictured will make 25 gallons of spray and kill mites like a ball peen hammer with only 10 to 30 seconds of time spent per chicken, with NO negative impact on your flock. Just a lite spritz is all it takes. In fact Permethrin is so safe that it is approved to kill flies in a milk parlor.
Most feed stores don't carry anything other than the 10%.

Back
Top Bottom