Fat Hens

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
How do I know if my hens are fat? They’re so fluffy…can’t really use ribs or hip bones like you can with dogs and cats. They are on an organic grower feed and on grass throughout the day. Any treats are scratch now and again and maybe a veggie or fruit here and there - nothing daily. Is there a way to feel certain bones through the feathers? What should I be looking for?

From the "For Dummies" series: https://www.dummies.com/home-garden...to-give-your-chickens-a-physical-examination/

369932.image0.jpg

#2 is ideal.

Noting that this would be an adult hen thing. Many birds will grow their frame first before they fill out. My young cockerel being one of them. Ludwig is a 17-week Black Langshan and, just like a 14yo human, he's in a gangly stage. He's all legs, wings, and neck, with a #1 keel but can be expected to fill out by the time he's a year old.

How do I know if my hens are fat? They’re so fluffy…can’t really use ribs or hip bones like you can with dogs and cats. They are on an organic grower feed and on grass throughout the day. Any treats are scratch now and again and maybe a veggie or fruit here and there - nothing daily. Is there a way to feel certain bones through the feathers? What should I be looking for?
I've found this article the most useful and informative of all I read. (https://www.clorofil.org/post/2021/04/fat-chickens). Not only cleavage at keel bone indicates excess weight.
Check below the vent, between the legs (see picture) for soft, spongy texture. The bigger, the fatter they are, even without fat on keel bone.

Attachments

• 20220410_165738.jpg
    20220410_165738.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 3
You really need to handle the birds, as you are right as in feather hides a lot of sins.

With your diet though, I would not be worried. Is there a reason you are worried they are fat? If mine are active, bright eyed, eating and laying eggs - I assume they are fine and healthy. No need to fret unless there is a problem.

Mrs K

You really need to handle the birds, as you are right as in feather hides a lot of sins.
This is very true about the feathers. My girls practically double in size when it is cold out. Was a bit of a shock to me how slim they actually were when the weather got warmer.

But yea, if they are moving around, laying and generally just doing chicken things with their flock, there's probably no issue.

Back
Top Bottom