Faverolles Thread

I would say as soon as you feel comfortable doing it and they're big enough not to get stepped on. Favs are a little bit different when it comes to new chickens they aren't automatically out for blood if anything Fling might be scared of them hence the big enough not to get stepped on. Just keep an eye on the situation,maybe take a baby out and let Fling see it so you can tell if it freaks her out. Totally different ballgame with Favs.:)

I picked up my new chicks yesterday and guess who is the most active and curious chick in the bunch? My Mom has named her Flash because she likes to run at fast as possible to wherever she is going :)
IMG_8883 (3).jpg

I have 2 Favs, and one is bottom of peck order, Rosie. She hangs by herself a lot. Stays in the coop instead of free ranging with the others. Her Fav sister hangs out with her sometimes. I recently put 2 bantam cochin in the coop and now Rosie has been their best buddy. The 3 of them hang together all day. The cochins are so docile and so is Rosie, its a match made in heaven.
174.jpg
176.jpg

So, curious if it is common Fav behavior to go broody? I read something somewhere that this wasn't anything to even worry about in a hen's first year, buy my goober Fajita went hardcore broody about a month after she started laying (so she was only 6 months old!!). After about 2 weeks of her bad behavior, my only other Fav started trying the same thing. I was able to break her of it by removing her from the nesting box, and one day just keeping their butts completely locked out of the coop, but wacky Fajita could NOT be stopped. Luckily I could reach in and remove her from the box without a struggle, but no matter how I tried keeping her away she always went right back to it. This went on for a good 3-4 weeks.
Is this something that I should expect to happen a lot? Is she just a weirdo? Should I find her a man? I kept telling her there was no daddy to help her make a baby but she just kept doing her thing.

Oh honey i just spent two solid days putting frozen veggies under a chicken butt because my little teenager went broody. Her sister played broody but nothing serious but Miss Tucks went all out broody puffing and fussing. She's only been laying a good month. I want chicks,but not until spring and I really don't want to deal with a teenage chicken mom:)
So, curious if it is common Fav behavior to go broody? I read something somewhere that this wasn't anything to even worry about in a hen's first year, buy my goober Fajita went hardcore broody about a month after she started laying (so she was only 6 months old!!). After about 2 weeks of her bad behavior, my only other Fav started trying the same thing. I was able to break her of it by removing her from the nesting box, and one day just keeping their butts completely locked out of the coop, but wacky Fajita could NOT be stopped. Luckily I could reach in and remove her from the box without a struggle, but no matter how I tried keeping her away she always went right back to it. This went on for a good 3-4 weeks.
Is this something that I should expect to happen a lot? Is she just a weirdo? Should I find her a man? I kept telling her there was no daddy to help her make a baby but she just kept doing her thing.

Back
Top Bottom