Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Ya sorry I know its an akward day! I think 1pm or 12:30 is when I will be there. Ha ha what type of dog and what type of costume? I have two horrible trained basset hounds who probably badly need your assistance.
lol.png

No worries about the day... I am sure we will cross paths at some poultry thing or another in the future. As for the Bassets, use their need to sniff as a reward. Put something wonderful (anything from a chicken nugget (gasp!) to a dead mouse) in a paper bag and use sniffing the bag as their reward. You can also teach them to "go sniff"on cue and only allow them to when they have been paying attention. Check out clicker training here:
http://www.clickertraining.com/store?gclid=CO6-vZ3lx6ICFV195Qod4E374w
...you can also clicker train chickens, I plan on working w/ my broody girl after her chicks are weaned using live mealworms as her reward.

Quote:
there is a black variety, your chick could be a throwback to it if he/she came from a regular hatching of Salmons... but check the # of toes to make sure the chick is not just a result of an unauthorized breeding the person who hatched them did not know about. Favs always have 5 toes, feathering on the legs and a beard/muff.

I am positive it is a black faverolle. the guy who sold it to me showed me the black parents of the chicks. It also has five toes on each feathered foot and has a beard.

Quote:
They are uncommon there are around 10 breeders all together. Is your bantam or standard? This also inclued people who just got there flocks started like Cindy David and I.

Last edited:
Quote:
Cool good luck hope I turns out really nice. There are only 3 or 4 people with LF blues and blacks that I know of. Leisha and I were talking about this when we met. When you sell show birds you sometimes expect them to come and show them or their offspring against your birds but Leisha said most of the birds she has sold seem to just disapear so I am sure there are more people with favs then I expect but not many more at least not with BBS favs. Good luck with your chick keep us updated my first BBS bantam hatch is due tommorow!

Henry

Quote:
Oh he is so handsome! I think I may need to get an incubator to hatch out some eggs... and the obsession grows
jumpy.gif
hmm.png

I can keep anything mine lay between now and Monday for you...
wink.png

Oh my goodness I think I need to stick to grown birds for at least another couple months! I also need to stick with one variety for now but I'm sure Ill get the bug and want to start experimenting
big_smile.png
I still haven't told the rest of the family that I bought a rooster.....

Quote:
I can keep anything mine lay between now and Monday for you...
wink.png

Oh my goodness I think I need to stick to grown birds for at least another couple months! I also need to stick with one variety for now but I'm sure Ill get the bug and want to start experimenting
big_smile.png
I still haven't told the rest of the family that I bought a rooster.....

That's the way to do it I got my first roo while my parents were out of town ha ha and now I have 5!

Quote:
The bantam red salmons I got from Laura are pretty! There will be more. She's getting a lot of them this year.

Are you bringing any of the chicks from my eggs down here Friday? I'd like to see that weird colored one. I have one hen in the breeding pen that is very light.......maybe to light.
Dick

Back
Top Bottom