Faverolles Thread

I love faverolles ..
But the only problem is that they are prone to scaly leg
hmm.png

Quote:
Oh sure Jeff. When do I not have something to say......lol.
In a tropic situation there are times you can have problems with resp. systemif it's extremly humid. Size - nope hasn't ever had that effect. From the looks of Melissa's birds in TX I would say she hasn't experienced this either. Carol Buffington is in Phoenix, She can loose birds to heat as anyone that lives in a heated climate can do. Size adjustment. No - her birds have always been competitively big. Where your at, if I'm not mistaken, it gets really hot due to no breeze being further instate? Run electrolytes in the summer and do plenty of fresh water. You might run into a head soaker or two due to the extreme heat. If you can, when it's really hot provide them with a back n forth sprinkler to play in within shade. If you feed pellets instead of crumbles to adults the beards will fare better. Crumbles get into the beard too much from the additional water they drink in heat - it really destroys them. But they do grow back out after the next moult.

I remeber that being written in the Brit book. I din't quite understand it but certainly would not say it isn't so. Aussie land could be rougher? I read where they didn't do well towards the coast of Scotland either. Austrailia is so vast with differeing climates as well. I wonder if this has been seen in one particular region.

Henry, Great new addition. David, glad to hear from you. Cloverleaf, I can't count but 2 of mine as everything else is too young also. Dick - has anyone heard from Dick? Know he's been too quiet on here. -)

Young birds out all day so far. A hawk was here for a bit. They all hid appropriately and I wished him on his way.

Have Fun
peter

I have been emailing with Dick he is busy with work. Maybe he will get on this weekend. Glad your birds are doing well. Join the new site so you can post on the website!

Henry

Quote:
Who rocks?
Henry does!
Thank you sir!
smile.png

Ha ha thanks! I thought we needed it the club has been using this site so much.

Henry

We definitely HAVE needed it!! It's GREAT to have somewhere to send people now!!
clap.gif

Quote:
Prone? If roosts are kept clean and you use an injectable liquid wormer it usually takes care of it. I guess you could say their prone to northern fowl mite also. But, if you dust for that often enough it takes out the risk. Same with red mites. I just don't think prone is the word here as what you're talking about can be eliminated so very easily. Change out your roosts every so often. During warm enough months bathe them and leave soak in tepid water for about 30mintes. That drowns em but they will come back as they exist on the roosts and come out to feed and infest during the night.

peter

Pete, will a liberal sprinkling of DE take care of that? I know i haven't had any problems over the past few years since I've been using it, but my feathered-leg population has been pretty low. I make sure to put a good amount in the nest box also, so it gets into their toes when they root around. Thanks, Mary

Quote:
Prone? If roosts are kept clean and you use an injectable liquid wormer it usually takes care of it. I guess you could say their prone to northern fowl mite also. But, if you dust for that often enough it takes out the risk. Same with red mites. I just don't think prone is the word here as what you're talking about can be eliminated so very easily. Change out your roosts every so often. During warm enough months bathe them and leave soak in tepid water for about 30mintes. That drowns em but they will come back as they exist on the roosts and come out to feed and infest during the night.

peter

I use DE every time I clean the coop, spray my birds one every couple months with a mite control spray. I also wash the birds about every couple months and before shows. Also spray the roosts when I do this to. I have had the same mite problems with other breeds to and my Wyndotte hen always has the worst case of mites even when the Faverolles aren't infested at all. To kill scaly leg mites you can also rub olive oil or Vaseline on the legs but that ruins leg feathers.

Back
Top Bottom