Faverolles Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mame1616

mame1616 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    I'm still very new with this breed, but I am amazed at the variation in combs on the roosters. I've spent a bit of time concentrating on JGs before I discovered this breed, and there does not seem to be as much variation in size, mostly in the shape. My bantam rooster has a much larger comb than these guys - which is correct? This guy got third place at Ohio.

[​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Mame, it has a lot to do with their age, at least from what I've seen from my boys. Seems like their combs are nearly nonexistant, and then at six months or so...boom! And they continue to get larger for a few months...correct me if I'm wrong gurus....

3. mame1616

mame1616 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Quote:My guy is not quite two. That that mean he's going to have this enormous comb by the time he's five? Or does the growth get slower every year, like goldfish? (They continue to grow their whole lives, but the older they get, the slower the growth)

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:My guy is not quite two. That that mean he's going to have this enormous comb by the time he's five? Or does the growth get slower every year, like goldfish? (They continue to grow their whole lives, but the older they get, the slower the growth)

No, I think they just grow until they're about a year...his should be done growing I would think.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Took some new pics today. Here are the roos from Dick's eggs.

Bossy Boy.

[​IMG]

#2 in command

[​IMG]

The 3 caballeros.

[​IMG]

A black hen from Dick. The only one to look presentable, the other poor girl really needs to molt!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the fav crew.

[​IMG]

And the project birds. My pick roo, who is a sweet boy. And HUGE.

[​IMG]

One of the pullets, next to some Sussex pullets to show the difference in body type. The Sussex are built like tanks.

[​IMG]

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Everyones birds look great. Cindy looks like those Faverolles are turning out awesome. I hope that the project keeps going and those Faverolles roos from Dick look great.

Henry

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh Wow guys, so many eye candies!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt know alot about the triangle defect either......

8. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Ok. So I'm really confused! What triangle defect? I know we are talking about the wing but it sounds like some think it's a defect and some not?? I didn't really understand the first comment that lead to the discussion and have only gotten more confused as it's gone on. Please someone explain.

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:NOT having the triangle is a defect. [​IMG]

10. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:Oh wow! Love, love, love the Fav/Sussex cross! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by