Faverolles Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Nov 16, 2009.

1. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    These are my two favorite Fav crosses and "potential project" birds. They are both Brahma crosses. This first one is a 23 week old Light Brahma/Fav pullet. She is just starting to show some Columbian pattern. I am curious to see how much she ends up with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a Dark Brahma/Fav cross, also 23 weeks. Again, faint penciling is showing. I like her best so I really hope the penciling darkens up after her first molt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. faverolles

faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:A few suggestions:
    You could breed your light male to light hens and hopefully this will give you better showable pullets, or breed your light male to dark hens and hopefully in the young the color will even out.
    You could breed your dark male to dark smutty hens and hopefully get better cockerels, or breed dark male to light hens and try to get the color to even out.
    Dick

3. faverolles

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:In Faverolles, the smaller the comb the better, but that bird doesn't look bad to me. I know in Faverolles that are bred in hot humid climates normally tend to have larger combs. I believe this is how they release the excess heat in their body. I think this is one of the reasons Peter, living in Florida, will hatch later in the year when the temperatures get a little cooler. Peter would have to verify this.
    Dick

4. faverolles

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:My guy is not quite two. That that mean he's going to have this enormous comb by the time he's five? Or does the growth get slower every year, like goldfish? (They continue to grow their whole lives, but the older they get, the slower the growth)

No, I think they just grow until they're about a year...his should be done growing I would think.

Agreed.
    Dick

5. faverolles

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Your Ermines are looking great. You need to breed the male back to the black hens. This would make the young 3/4 Faverolles. When those chicks are older give me a call I'll take a ride up to look at them. I have only one black male right now. Later in the breeding season maybe we can breed him to your Ermine pullet. This will also give you 3/4 Faverolles in the young.
    Dick

6. faverolles

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Look at the first picture on Cindy's male Faverolles. You'll see some white on his wing and that's what we call the white triangle.
    Dick

7. faverolles

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Looks like the type is coming along. I like the wing carriage on the dark pullet.
    Dick

8. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Everyones birds are looking wonderful. I love the dark hen bra/fav cross, she's gorgeous [​IMG]

Dick,
    (or Cindy, Peter, Henry or anyone else) This is a pic of a little roo I kept back because he has such a nice wide head and good conf. However, he's oddly colored with silver on hackles and has a type of "barring" in saddle/tail and I'm unsure what his color is. Great toes, growing in a nice beard, ect. Can anyone help with this?? Right now the only colors I have are blue, salmon blue/salmon, black and splash. Would appreciate any opinions, advice, ect. as everyone knows this is starting from scratch agin with my program, so input would be most helpful. Never worked w/a silver gene in Favs before [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Misty

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. faverolles

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Is this a young cockerel and has he gone through his molt yet?
    Dick

10. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    I knew they were suppose to have it but something was said about it that made me think some thought otherwise. I'm straight now!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by