Faverolles Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Nov 16, 2009.

1. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Quote:Wow, I really love your Dark Brahma x Faverolle, she has such a gorgeous color and shape. [​IMG]
    I'm going to post some photos of this year's babies in a little while. I only hatched 2 pullets and 4 cockerels this year. The pullets look great and one of the older cockerels is definitely going into my breeding pens next year.

2. NapoleanGoose

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    My oldest cockerel. Sorry about the blurry photos, he's not a very good model. He's almost 5 months old

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the pullets. Around 2 months old

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got two new pullets from Jennifer Ortman as well, but I don't have any photos of them yet. Both are beautiful, I've trimmed their beards twice since I got them and their beards still almost cover their eyes.

3. faverolles

faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:The first photo looks like a bantam cockerel. His color is great. In your second photo he looks like a huge bird. Your pullets still have some developing to go but the color looks really good. I believe the smutty pullet should give you darker cockerels and the other pullet should give you better pullets.
    I remember Leisha telling me a judge telling her that her hen or pullet didn't have enough black in her tail. The judge was wrong. According to the standard the tail should be salmon. I have some hens in bantam and large that have a lot of black in their tail and its my belief that you need these hens in the breeding pen. This will help your cockerels to keep their tails black. I have had cockerels in the past that would always show some white edging on some of their tail feathers. I had problems getting rid of it till I realized I had one pen with two hens in it that had a lot of black in their tail and all the cockerels had all black tails and a few that I did keep their tales stayed black even after a few moults. At least this is what I noticed in my birds. Challenges.....you got to love it.
    Dick

4. faverolles

faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Looking at your pictures again...where did you get your Faverolles?
    Dick

5. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Quote:Is this a young cockerel and has he gone through his molt yet?
    Dick

Yes he's only a couple months old, no molt as of yet. Can you help me out with the color? I'll try to get better pics in the sunshine today instead of using the flash in the barn. Thanks so much.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  6. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    Are these chickens late bloomers? I have 2 and they may have started laying (they are 32 weeks) but I am really not sure. I thought their eggs were supposed to be a creamy white and my eggs are all brown.

7. NapoleanGoose

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Quote:The first photo looks like a bantam cockerel. His color is great. In your second photo he looks like a huge bird. Your pullets still have some developing to go but the color looks really good. I believe the smutty pullet should give you darker cockerels and the other pullet should give you better pullets.
    I remember Leisha telling me a judge telling her that her hen or pullet didn't have enough black in her tail. The judge was wrong. According to the standard the tail should be salmon. I have some hens in bantam and large that have a lot of black in their tail and its my belief that you need these hens in the breeding pen. This will help your cockerels to keep their tails black. I have had cockerels in the past that would always show some white edging on some of their tail feathers. I had problems getting rid of it till I realized I had one pen with two hens in it that had a lot of black in their tail and all the cockerels had all black tails and a few that I did keep their tales stayed black even after a few moults. At least this is what I noticed in my birds. Challenges.....you got to love it.
    Dick

Oh, I forgot to mention. This cockerel is half bantam half LF. My rooster is a bantam and my hens are all LF, but at the moment that's all I have. I bred the bantam to my largest hen in hopes of getting bigger chicks, since this had worked for me in the past with other breeds. I hope to use him in the spring as my rooster instead, to continue to promote LF size. In the second photo he's standing next to another bantam x LF cross, Rock x Cochin, so it's hard to place his size against him. He's as tall as my purebred LF Rocks of the same age though. The girls are the same, but they are proving to be less difficult then my cockerels. In general my pullets this year have been very nice looking. This cockerel has a lot of white/red in his tail but not so much as his father. I'll keep that in mind though, I was thinking of not breeding a hen with black in her tail and wings next year, but I'll go ahead and try breeding her. I could really use cleanliness in my cockerels.

I do. Challenges are why I like breeding Faverolles.

Thank you,
    Sierra

8. NapoleanGoose

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Quote:Looking at your pictures again...where did you get your Faverolles?
    Dick

I bought my foundation birds from Thode. 1 bantam Rooster 3 LF Hens. I had to put one hen down last month, so now I have the bantam rooster, LF hens, and the LF pullets I bought from Jennifer Ortman. I am going to close my flock with this group until after college if next year's breeding goes well.

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:My bantam's eggs are really light tan/creamy color, but my LF's eggs are really pretty dark.

10. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Here are new pics of the little roo taken in the sun today. Am I just stupid and it is common to have silver just pop up?? He is so much different than any other chick I've hatched, sooo not sure [​IMG] ... I would appreciate any input/info that you may share. Thank you. PS...Please IGNORE the brew cans in golf cart, lol ... I didnt let HIM drive [​IMG]

Misty

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by