Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Send us another picture after he moults. I'm sure there will be a big difference.
Dick

I will keep you posted, I will send pics of him and would like you to view my mottled girl as well as the blue girl again in a few months to see how they mature. Thanks again. Wishing everyone a wonderful and safe Christmas!

Quote:
Send us another picture after he moults. I'm sure there will be a big difference.
Dick

I will keep you posted, I will send pics of him and would like you to view my mottled girl as well as the blue girl again in a few months to see how they mature. Thanks again. Wishing everyone a wonderful and safe Christmas!

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Christmas.
Can't wait for the spring to start hatching. Planning on having three large salmon breeding pens. My old male will be bred to my old hen. This hen is carrying 3/4 english blood. She is old so I'm hoping to get at least a dozen eggs out of her. Another pen will have a cockerel with two hens. His colors are not good but I kept him because of his size. I'm interested to see if this will give me better pullets. And for the last pen, what I feel is my best cockerel will go with six hens. In this pen I'm planning to set up show cages. I'll let him run with the hens for a week. Then I will cage 5 hens in individual cages and leave him with one hen. Each day I will rotate a hen. This way I'll know exactly whose laying the eggs and will be able to mark them accordingly. I did this a few years back and my fertility was fantastic. It will also tell me who is giving me the better young.
I only have one large black male and I will breed him to the two black hens I have which will give me black chicks and also breed him to all my splash hens which should give me blue chicks.
I have one large blue male from eggs I hatched from Pam Menard. There is no lacing on him. He will be bred to my three blue hens which in turn should give me blues, blacks and splashes. If everyone lives through the winter, I should be all set. After the holidays I'll start to set up my breeding pens. When that's done then I just need the weather to change. HA. This is one reason why I hate winter.
Can't wait to start hatching.
Dick
Oh, by the way, I can't wait to start hatching. HA

Quote:

Can't wait for the spring to start hatching. Planning on having three large salmon breeding pens. My old male will be bred to my old hen. This hen is carrying 3/4 english blood. She is old so I'm hoping to get at least a dozen eggs out of her. Another pen will have a cockerel with two hens. His colors are not good but I kept him because of his size. I'm interested to see if this will give me better pullets. And for the last pen, what I feel is my best cockerel will go with six hens. In this pen I'm planning to set up show cages. I'll let him run with the hens for a week. Then I will cage 5 hens in individual cages and leave him with one hen. Each day I will rotate a hen. This way I'll know exactly whose laying the eggs and will be able to mark them accordingly. I did this a few years back and my fertility was fantastic. It will also tell me who is giving me the better young.
I only have one large black male and I will breed him to the two black hens I have which will give me black chicks and also breed him to all my splash hens which should give me blue chicks.
I have one large blue male from eggs I hatched from Pam Menard. There is no lacing on him. He will be bred to my three blue hens which in turn should give me blues, blacks and splashes. If everyone lives through the winter, I should be all set. After the holidays I'll start to set up my breeding pens. When that's done then I just need the weather to change. HA. This is one reason why I hate winter.
Dick

Sounds great Dick, can't wait to see what you end up with out of your older pair. Will be exciting to see how your rotation with breeding goes as well. The pic I posted of my blue girl...ummmm is she what you consider "laced" or??? I like her alot, this is 4th generation with my BBS pen, and 3rd gen for my blue salmon/salmon since starting over. I still have my lav girl, but she isnt the quality I really desire even though her beard is the nicest I've ever seen on a fav. I cut her from my fav program and am using her in another project pen. However, I have several splits to work with, so we'll see how that goes. I hate winter too, not only because I freeze my patooty off but the birds dont lay as well, even under lights. I DO hatch 24/7 365 a year though. I have to in order to "catch up" on lost lines/birds from massicure earlier in year. Sounds like everything is in order for you. That's super. Cant wait to work on my whites
wink.png

Misty

Quote:
I'm looking for about a dozen blacks for myself. After that I should be able to send you some. Depending on the weather, some years I can't hatch till March. I hope I can get started in February, especially for my large fowl. After that I'll hatch my bantams and then the lavender project.
Dick

Quote:

Dick

Juat make sure to save two LF Salmon girls for me!
wink.png
Are you going to be able to make it to the Congress? If not, I may not go, as it will be difficult to take a break from my school work. If you are going, I'd like to bring my birds just to show you, so you can tell me what I'm looking at. Leisha was a great help in Ohio with that.

You know, we should really set up a meeting for the Crossroads show so you experts can give us newbies some genetics lessons. I'm still not getting the cockerel/pullet breeding pen thing.

i'm hoping i get to go to the Congress this year. here's hoping my dh will let me go and he would be willing to travel with me!
lol.png

btw, good luck on the hatching Dick! here's hoping i have a decent hatch too! i have 14 eggs under a broody that should be hatching by New Year's day! if my other hens would quit trying to lay in her box and breaking an occasional egg i would have more LF expected to hatch!
hmm.png

Last edited:
Chickie'sMoma :

i'm hoping i get to go to the Congress this year. here's hoping my dh will let me go and he would be willing to travel with me!
lol.png

btw, good luck on the hatching Dick! here's hoping i have a decent hatch too! i have 14 eggs under a broody that should be hatching by New Year's day! if my other hens would quit trying to lay in her box and breaking an occasional egg i would have more LF expected to hatch!
hmm.png

Fingers crossed you get some to hatch!​

Quote:
I'm looking for about a dozen blacks for myself. After that I should be able to send you some. Depending on the weather, some years I can't hatch till March. I hope I can get started in February, especially for my large fowl. After that I'll hatch my bantams and then the lavender project.
Dick

I will be wishing for you to have mild weather and productive birds!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom