Faverolles Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Nov 16, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I think Leisha has her birds in kind of an offset barn or something maybe like a garage or something not sure.

2. mame1616

mame1616 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Quote:I think Leisha has her birds in kind of an offset barn or something maybe like a garage or something not sure.

Junebug, where are you? I'm in NJ, and I don't have any heat in my coop, but it is wrapped well, with some venting at the top. You can really feel the temperature difference in the morning when I let them out.

3. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Mame, I am in Central Va. Not too horribly cold ,but..... I keep them up at night and they have a nice house but I am always looking to improve. [​IMG]

4. faverolles

faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Wishing everyone a safe and happy Christmas.
    Can't wait for the spring to start hatching. Planning on having three large salmon breeding pens. My old male will be bred to my old hen. This hen is carrying 3/4 english blood. She is old so I'm hoping to get at least a dozen eggs out of her. Another pen will have a cockerel with two hens. His colors are not good but I kept him because of his size. I'm interested to see if this will give me better pullets. And for the last pen, what I feel is my best cockerel will go with six hens. In this pen I'm planning to set up show cages. I'll let him run with the hens for a week. Then I will cage 5 hens in individual cages and leave him with one hen. Each day I will rotate a hen. This way I'll know exactly whose laying the eggs and will be able to mark them accordingly. I did this a few years back and my fertility was fantastic. It will also tell me who is giving me the better young.
    I only have one large black male and I will breed him to the two black hens I have which will give me black chicks and also breed him to all my splash hens which should give me blue chicks.
    I have one large blue male from eggs I hatched from Pam Menard. There is no lacing on him. He will be bred to my three blue hens which in turn should give me blues, blacks and splashes. If everyone lives through the winter, I should be all set. After the holidays I'll start to set up my breeding pens. When that's done then I just need the weather to change. HA. This is one reason why I hate winter.
    Can't wait to start hatching.
    Dick
    Oh, by the way, I can't wait to start hatching. HA

Juat make sure to save two LF Salmon girls for me! [​IMG] Are you going to be able to make it to the Congress? If not, I may not go, as it will be difficult to take a break from my school work. If you are going, I'd like to bring my birds just to show you, so you can tell me what I'm looking at. Leisha was a great help in Ohio with that.

You know, we should really set up a meeting for the Crossroads show so you experts can give us newbies some genetics lessons. I'm still not getting the cockerel/pullet breeding pen thing.

Ok, on the cockerel and pullet breeding. In the pass years that I bred Faverolles I've had dark cockerels and light cockerels and light pullets and smutty chested pullets. I've always bred dark to light to try and get more of an even color in the young. I always got rid of the smutty pullets. My cockerels were getting lighter with bronze in their wing bow. Their beards and front neck would be all black till their first moult then you would start to see white in their beards and color creeping in on the front of their neck. What I have in reality is a pullet line. The pullets were looking awesome.
    In the standard the males are suppose to have mahogany red in the wing bow and their back. I feel the mahogany red should reach the tail. My opinion. This year I will take my darkest male and breed him to my darkest hens. In this attempt I'm trying to get my males darker. I don't have any smutty chested large fowl hens on my place because I got rid of them all so I have to go darkest to darkest. This is what I'll be doing for the cockerels.
    For my pullets I kept a very light cockerel, he's really no good for show. He has a lot of white underneath but I kept him for his size, he's a real big bird. I'll breed him to my lightest hens and hopefully get some better pullets.
    In my bantams I'll be able to try this theory. I kept a couple of smutty hens and will breed them to my darkest cockerel. I really like his color but he's not perfect. He needs more beard and his tail is to short. The two smutty hens have great beard and longer tails so hopefully everything will even out.
    They call this double mating. A cockerel line and a pullet line. Another theory is hens with black in their beards. Not good for show but good in the breeding pen where its suppose to help your males get blacker beards.
    Again these are theorys. I'm willing to give this a shot. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get everybody to change their way of breeding. I'm not sure if this will work, but I'm confident enough that it will. But I don't think it will happen in one breeding season. It might take a couple of years to get what I'm looking for.
    Does this make any sense to you?
    Dick

5. faverolles

faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Wishing everyone a safe and happy Christmas.
    Can't wait for the spring to start hatching. Planning on having three large salmon breeding pens. My old male will be bred to my old hen. This hen is carrying 3/4 english blood. She is old so I'm hoping to get at least a dozen eggs out of her. Another pen will have a cockerel with two hens. His colors are not good but I kept him because of his size. I'm interested to see if this will give me better pullets. And for the last pen, what I feel is my best cockerel will go with six hens. In this pen I'm planning to set up show cages. I'll let him run with the hens for a week. Then I will cage 5 hens in individual cages and leave him with one hen. Each day I will rotate a hen. This way I'll know exactly whose laying the eggs and will be able to mark them accordingly. I did this a few years back and my fertility was fantastic. It will also tell me who is giving me the better young.
    I only have one large black male and I will breed him to the two black hens I have which will give me black chicks and also breed him to all my splash hens which should give me blue chicks.
    I have one large blue male from eggs I hatched from Pam Menard. There is no lacing on him. He will be bred to my three blue hens which in turn should give me blues, blacks and splashes. If everyone lives through the winter, I should be all set. After the holidays I'll start to set up my breeding pens. When that's done then I just need the weather to change. HA. This is one reason why I hate winter.
    Dick
    Oh, by the way, I can't wait to start hatching. HA

Juat make sure to save two LF Salmon girls for me! [​IMG] Are you going to be able to make it to the Congress? If not, I may not go, as it will be difficult to take a break from my school work. If you are going, I'd like to bring my birds just to show you, so you can tell me what I'm looking at. Leisha was a great help in Ohio with that.

You know, we should really set up a meeting for the Crossroads show so you experts can give us newbies some genetics lessons. I'm still not getting the cockerel/pullet breeding pen thing.

Yes, I am planning on going to the Congress show. I won't be showing, just going to visit. The show is January 15th and 16th. I should be there on the 15th in the afternoon.
    I'll know more as we get closer to the date.
    Dick

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Just want to show anyone who is thinking about heating their coops much what my chickens lived through during the giant snow storm of last winter.
    [​IMG]

7. mame1616

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Quote:Juat make sure to save two LF Salmon girls for me! [​IMG] Are you going to be able to make it to the Congress? If not, I may not go, as it will be difficult to take a break from my school work. If you are going, I'd like to bring my birds just to show you, so you can tell me what I'm looking at. Leisha was a great help in Ohio with that.

Ok, on the cockerel and pullet breeding. In the pass years that I bred Faverolles I've had dark cockerels and light cockerels and light pullets and smutty chested pullets. I've always bred dark to light to try and get more of an even color in the young. I always got rid of the smutty pullets. My cockerels were getting lighter with bronze in their wing bow. Their beards and front neck would be all black till their first moult then you would start to see white in their beards and color creeping in on the front of their neck. What I have in reality is a pullet line. The pullets were looking awesome.
    In the standard the males are suppose to have mahogany red in the wing bow and their back. I feel the mahogany red should reach the tail. My opinion. This year I will take my darkest male and breed him to my darkest hens. In this attempt I'm trying to get my males darker. I don't have any smutty chested large fowl hens on my place because I got rid of them all so I have to go darkest to darkest. This is what I'll be doing for the cockerels.
    For my pullets I kept a very light cockerel, he's really no good for show. He has a lot of white underneath but I kept him for his size, he's a real big bird. I'll breed him to my lightest hens and hopefully get some better pullets.
    In my bantams I'll be able to try this theory. I kept a couple of smutty hens and will breed them to my darkest cockerel. I really like his color but he's not perfect. He needs more beard and his tail is to short. The two smutty hens have great beard and longer tails so hopefully everything will even out.
    They call this double mating. A cockerel line and a pullet line. Another theory is hens with black in their beards. Not good for show but good in the breeding pen where its suppose to help your males get blacker beards.
    Again these are theorys. I'm willing to give this a shot. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get everybody to change their way of breeding. I'm not sure if this will work, but I'm confident enough that it will. But I don't think it will happen in one breeding season. It might take a couple of years to get what I'm looking for.
    Does this make any sense to you?
    Dick

Thanks, Dick - a little. Is this the same as the theory that you breed the males for type and the females for color? I look forward to seeing you at the show! [​IMG]

8. mame1616

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Quote:Ah, me too! I've learned a lot about what to put in the next coop by having this one, like : timed pop-doors, central vacuum, radiant floor heating, central air conditioning, a full commercial kitchen, automatic sunbrellas, grooming room, hospital/quarantine area, walk-in incubator/broody room,...

9. elizmartin

elizmartin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    N.W. Washington
    Happy Holidayz all, Am new to this lst, have had bantam Fav's for awhile and a LF Roo and a few girls. Have a few color questions that i am hoping you can help with answers. My LF roo does not have the black white ness of the pictures i have seen here, but more golden straw in the neck and back. ( He is really pretty but not nicely defined like the previous roo's someone had pictured from Dick ). My bantam males, some have brown smudge left and right in the middle of their creamy neck some don't. Is one or the other prefered??
    I was told at the last show that the foot feathering shoud extend to the middle toe???
    and my bantam hens & pullets range from various shades of beige/coral with their creamy trim, but some have pronounced even lacing and some do not. Is lacing prefered or discouraged.
    Lastly, i would really like to aquire some Mahogany Favarolles.....Will any of you have eggs, chicks, started or adults available this coming year.....If so i would appreciate....You can answer here or [email protected] Thankyou, eliz

Bantam Salmon Favarolles, and a mixed group of appreciated egg layers.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  10. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    First off [​IMG] we have a great group of people here so I think you are going to like it.

I am new to the breed. After a 3 yr wait I finally got my first ones last week. I will be watching to see what Dick says.

Oh ya we like pictures here, so you are goint to have to post some. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by