1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Faverolles Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Nov 16, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:The brown smudges on the bantam males neck are "burn marks" they are accepted and many males both LF and Bantam have them. Sounds like your LF male doesn't have proper color but could be a very good pullet breeder. The bantam females often do range I color I prefer the lacing because it gives them a crisper look. Where did you get your bantams? I would love to see pictures.

Welcome to the thread!

Henry

2. faverolles

faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Ok, on the cockerel and pullet breeding. In the pass years that I bred Faverolles I've had dark cockerels and light cockerels and light pullets and smutty chested pullets. I've always bred dark to light to try and get more of an even color in the young. I always got rid of the smutty pullets. My cockerels were getting lighter with bronze in their wing bow. Their beards and front neck would be all black till their first moult then you would start to see white in their beards and color creeping in on the front of their neck. What I have in reality is a pullet line. The pullets were looking awesome.
    In the standard the males are suppose to have mahogany red in the wing bow and their back. I feel the mahogany red should reach the tail. My opinion. This year I will take my darkest male and breed him to my darkest hens. In this attempt I'm trying to get my males darker. I don't have any smutty chested large fowl hens on my place because I got rid of them all so I have to go darkest to darkest. This is what I'll be doing for the cockerels.
    For my pullets I kept a very light cockerel, he's really no good for show. He has a lot of white underneath but I kept him for his size, he's a real big bird. I'll breed him to my lightest hens and hopefully get some better pullets.
    In my bantams I'll be able to try this theory. I kept a couple of smutty hens and will breed them to my darkest cockerel. I really like his color but he's not perfect. He needs more beard and his tail is to short. The two smutty hens have great beard and longer tails so hopefully everything will even out.
    They call this double mating. A cockerel line and a pullet line. Another theory is hens with black in their beards. Not good for show but good in the breeding pen where its suppose to help your males get blacker beards.
    Again these are theorys. I'm willing to give this a shot. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get everybody to change their way of breeding. I'm not sure if this will work, but I'm confident enough that it will. But I don't think it will happen in one breeding season. It might take a couple of years to get what I'm looking for.
    Does this make any sense to you?
    Dick

Thanks, Dick - a little. Is this the same as the theory that you breed the males for type and the females for color? I look forward to seeing you at the show! [​IMG]

In reality normally the female carries type the male carries size and color. What part don't you understand on what I said earlier. Maybe I can clarify it in a different way.
    Dick

3. sandiklaws

sandiklaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone and Happy Holidays! Happened to have some time to kill and got all caught up on the forum. Sorry to hear about everyone's losses, and glad to hear about everyone's successes. As for my own birds, I am down to 3 trios of the birds I hatched from Dick's line, and I have 3 very dark pullets (they could almost be 2 buffs and a mahogany) from a commercial hatchery- the hatchery gals ain't the greatest as far as type and comb points are concerned but they do have the correct # of toes and great beards and muffs. I am hoping to be able to develop these guys into a cockerel line and a pullet line... but gotta wait til spring to see how it all works out.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Years!
    Sandi

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ah, me too! I've learned a lot about what to put in the next coop by having this one, like : timed pop-doors, central vacuum, radiant floor heating, central air conditioning, a full commercial kitchen, automatic sunbrellas, grooming room, hospital/quarantine area, walk-in incubator/broody room,...

[​IMG] Let me know when you get that done...then you can come and do MY house! Or I could just come and live in your coop and be the servant! (I could cook them oatmeal with raisins and walnuts for breakfast every day in the winter!) Terri O

5. faverolles

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:If you could put pictures on this thread it would make it easier to critique. On your bantam males, the "smudge marks" on the neck are called burn spots. The males get this from the hens. Look at the same spots on your hens and you might see a darker salmon coloring. This is where it comes from. The standard states that the burn spots are acceptable. So males can have them or not have them, it doesn't matter.
    Foot feathering should not extend to the middle toe. Foot feathering should be on the outside of the shank or leg to the outside toe. Ive had birds in the past that sometimes would show a few feathers on there middle toe and if I was going to take them to a show I would pull them out about two weeks before the show. I only did this depending on how good the bird was. If it was a male that I was just keeping for the breeding pen I would make sure that I bred him to hens that didn't carry that trait. If I recall correctly, a Faverolles having feathers on its middle toe is a disqualification. Not good in the show pen.
    Lacing in your birds is acceptable. I feel judges lean more to the lacing on our birds. The problem we have with the salmon hens is the ABA calls for salmon pink and the APA calls for salmon brown. At one show we went to we had a discussion about a bantam hen my buddy Eddie had at a show. She was a dark hen but everything else about her was great. In the discussion I asked the judge if he was judging by APA or ABA rules. He told me APA. The APA calls for salmon brown so in reality that bird should have got Best of Breed in the bantams. Her color was correct. This is why I say know your standard. The judges don't have all the answers on Faverolles. Some judges hardly see Faverolles at a show. I recall a show in Virginia were a judge was judging out National show and what impressed me was he had the APA standard book under his arm. Now here was a judge that was doing the best job he possibly could. I remember another show were a judge said this was the first time he ever saw Faverolles. He was from California. I didn't take it to heat on how he judged the birds.
    Going back to what happened to Leisha at a show. The judge said her pullets/hens didn't have enough black in their tale. That's false. The standard calls for salmon up to the tail. Yes there will be some black in the tail but very little. As I stated before, my feeling in the breeding pen you need a lot of black in the tail in your hens. This will help your cockerels keep their black tails. Again, my opinion.
    Dick

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:The brown smudges on the bantam males neck are "burn marks" they are accepted and many males both LF and Bantam have them. Sounds like your LF male doesn't have proper color but could be a very good pullet breeder. The bantam females often do range I color I prefer the lacing because it gives them a crisper look. Where did you get your bantams? I would love to see pictures.

Welcome to the thread!

Henry

Ha ha - this is the most recent pic of the blue salmon male she has...recognize him Henry? He hatched from your eggs! LOL
    [​IMG]

7. pfmerlin

pfmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Peter I always appreciate your opinons and love to hear them. Please never think that you have to hold your tongue because all of the new breeders need to hear what you have to say!

Don't worry I have a sharp tongue too ha ha you only figure that out when you meet me in person though. Although I do sometimes speak and type without thinking (I need to think more carefully before I say things on this thread) I am no Faverolles expert I have tried to learn the standard as best I can and learn from the advice of you and Dick.

Henry

9. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Quote:I am tickled to read your post Peter. You, Dick, Henry and Cindy have all come to my rescue (in one way or another, lol) taken me under your wing a time or 10 [​IMG] Words can not express my graditude for the lend of your knowledge, advice and small "mentoring sessions". I'm not a young breeder by any means, but am a "Young Faverolle breeder" who has had to start my program over, from scratch, not just twice, but 3 times now. I read and study, read and study, yet have a tendancy to ask alot of questions on type, age, color from the more experienced on here, but do try to wait until the 4mo age range. I love this breed as much as anyone else on this thread and am still trudging forward with my little program. It's always good to hear from you. Thank You for this post!...

*Wishing Everyone a very Safe & Merry Christmas*

In Light,
    Misty

10. faverolles

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Hey Pete,
    Nice to hear from you.
    Pete and I try and give you our experiences that we have had over the years. We hope this is giving you a little foresight into Faverolles. When Pete and I got into Faverolles there wasn't much out there for us to try and bring the breed back to where it should be. So its been years of breeding for both of us, plus some other people who are out of the breed now, to do the best we could with what birds we could get at the time. Its been years of hard enjoyable work. Let's face it we have to enjoy it because of the challengers that this breed offers. Hopefully some of this information is helpful.
    Dick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by