Faverolles Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Nov 16, 2009.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Just wondering how the coloring on this boy is. Thinking about breeding him this spring with my pullet, Roxy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He got into my silkie pen and created these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Merry Christmas to everyone! [​IMG]

2. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Good to hear from you again Peter! Your input is always very useful and greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

I'll bet your birds are in shock since they are used to much warmer weather. I have been very pleasantly surprised at how well mine are doing (even the babies) in the cold weather up here in Kentucky. One morning it was down to -4 and they all still came happily running out of the coop to get their BOSS and toodled around outside for quite a while with everyone looking fine. They usually only go back in the coop if the wind picks up - even the 8 and 9 weeks olds. Of course the only reason I know this is because I can see their pen from my office window. I can't stand to be out in the cold myself![​IMG]

3. comerspoultry

comerspoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Wapakoneta, Ohio
    Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Merry Christmas To All And To All The Purty Birdies!!!!! [​IMG]

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Hi Peter! I hope you continue to share your opinions on LF breeding, as well as Dick and David. All of you have many years with faverolles and have tried and true breeding methodology. All of us newbies appreciate the insight and the help you've given us.

I do agree it's difficult to critique a bird on picture alone. Hands on is best. Unfortunately when some of us are across the country a pic will have to do.

I'm curious, do you have any other breeds? Or just faverolles?

6. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:It's been too many days since I hatched Favs (omg.... 5 months??)
    All my holiday muddled brain can think of to cull for at hatch is toes... is that it?
    Merry Christmas!
    Laurie

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:It's been too many days since I hatched Favs (omg.... 5 months??)
    All my holiday muddled brain can think of to cull for at hatch is toes... is that it?
    Merry Christmas!
    Laurie

Leg Feathers and Beard as well as just general size and thriftiness I think are some things we should cull for.

8. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I was going to photo shoot all 8 boys today for culling to happen tomorrow... but it's raining: these are last year's pics of 1 & 2
    #1 "Buffington" style.... light roo-in pullet pen [​IMG]
    #2 "Boulanger" style....dark roo in cockerel pen (I don't "need" to make cockerels but he is very pretty & semi-sweet) [​IMG]
    #3 6 month old son of #1 & our dark hen, fully dark chest, nice comb [​IMG]
    #4 " " " " " " " " " , white smut on chest, funky comb
    #5 " " "..... " " " " " " , more white on chest, mediocre comb
    #6 5 " " " " unknown which favs, even more white
    #7 5 " " " " Dick's F1 pen, sweet & slightly smutty but with tiny spurs on back of comb
    #8 5 " " " " Dick's F1 pen, white smut in britches & chest, good comb

All have good toes.

Plan is to keep 1,2, & 3, but after reading more about culling I'm wondering if I should give the others a bit longer?

9. elizmartin

elizmartin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    N.W. Washington
    :)Thankyou Janine for posting my beautiful blue roo from You. Not sure when i can get other pics but will....Thankyou all, i really do appreciate all the information that i am able to learn from your experiences here. After about 3 years of collecting and *finally* getting my blue dream Salmon Roo, will start breeding. I hope to eventually have 3 separate lines of black Salmon Bantams and am always looking for non or far related birds.
    I fell in love with them from my first eggs from Norman and Gayle Pontius, Catalpa Farm, and Nikki-Hattrik.....since then i have aquired several from, Erhard Weis, Rose Isgrigg, Janine McKee, & a friend in Olympia who's came from a breeder in California also a pair from someone who had birds from Leisha Comer.
    Some of these i don't have a long background and know they are a mixed known heritage , others i do so will try to plan accordingly. Everyone is a bit different from the others so will be interesting.
    Thanks All, Merry Christmas....eliz martin

10. faverolles

faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Douglas,MA
    Quote:Looks like you have a good bunch to start with. You should have some interesting breedings. Well, we have a major north eastern storm coming in. They said it would start this afternoon but here it is 8:56 in the morning and its starting to snow now, and I have to go into work tonight for 7:30. Hope I can make it. They're predicting about a foot of snow.
    Here is something I've seen in my large hens. In breeding with dark males and light males; in the past I have used light males in a breeding pen where the males were so light they didn't have any red mohogany on top of their saddle feathers. Some of the pullets would be a two tone salmon. What I mean by that is the salmon from the top of her head to where the saddle would begin is a little darker and from the saddle to the tip of the tail is a little lighter. The hens should be an even salmon color from the top of the head to the tip of the tail. I haven't seen this problem in my salmon bantams. In the past I've used lighter salmon bantam males where they still carried some red above their saddles. The pullets would come out fine, some a little darker and some a little lighter but the salmon color was even. Has anyone else noticed this in their past breedings.
    I'm just thinking out loud here and would appreciate any feedback from other breeders.
    Dick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by