Faverolles Thread

I have bantam Cochins and saw some wonderful Bantam Favarolles at the big show in Shawnee in December. My neighbor has Ameraucanas and I LOVE their beards but not their combs. Favs have the feathered feet of Cochins and the beards as well as the combs I like plus they are sweet. I have always planned to stick to just Cochins but this thread is no help! I am trying to figure out how I can add just one pen of Favarolles.

Here's some pics of offspring of a bantam salmon favorelle pullet and a porcelain d'uccle:

6152_img_2657.jpg

6152_img_2653.jpg

Top was female I'm sure, and bottom, male.

Have most of my breeding pens together. Large blues with Pam's blue male with two of my blue hens and two of my black hens. One pen with my black male and six splash hens. Have one pen with white bantams, one male with about 13 hens/pullets which I need to sort through. Four hens/pullets to be shipped out, plus two to be picked to go with my bantam black male which should give me all black chicks. One pen of my large salmons. Eight hens with three cockerels. I need to move two cockerels out of there. One pen large lavender splits. Five black hens with one black male. Should give me some all lavender chicks. One pen with large lavender salmon splits. Five hens showing some salmon leakage of red or gold here and there, with one lavender salmon male. one coop with bantam salmons. Four pullets will go. they have what I call " pin heads". One little coop with a trio of bantam salmons. Still have to finish putting birds in my back coop. So far I have a lavender du'ucclle with two black bantam hens. In another pen I will have two salmon bantam hens where I will rotate the lavender du'ucclle. Again going for lavender salmons in bantams and just lavender bantams. One pen with one pair of red salmon bantams. Need to fix up one pen to put my oldest large salmon hen with my oldest large salmon male. If I can get about eight fertile eggs from this breeding I'll be happy. need to set up another bantam salmon pen in this coop and another white bantam pen. Also need to put my old buff hen with her son and another pen with three of her daughters. The son is buff with a black tail, hopefully breeding him back to his mother I can get some all buff cockerels. I will rotate him back with his three sisters also. So you see why I hatch using the grapefruit mesh bags. I put eggs in every fifth day. Once my incubator is full, it mostly stays full. Its a lot of work....... but you gotta love it.
Dick

Quote:
Sounds great Dick I am glad you are getting all set up. Hope this breeding season is successful let us know how your hatching and breeding goes.

Quote:
Sounds great Dick I am glad you are getting all set up. Hope this breeding season is successful let us know how your hatching and breeding goes.

Will do.
Dick

Quote:
Whew! My head is spinning after all that. Do you keep pedigrees? If so, I bet you spend lot of time doing "book work" to keep track.
When you have time, would you please post a couple of pics of your red salmon birds and your buff birds? I like to see what the difference in the coloring looks like.

Quote:
Whew! My head is spinning after all that. Do you keep pedigrees? If so, I bet you spend lot of time doing "book work" to keep track.
When you have time, would you please post a couple of pics of your red salmon birds and your buff birds? I like to see what the difference in the coloring looks like.

I'll take pictures as soon as I can.
Dick

Just wanted to hop in and say hi again

And..
I have bantam Favorelles in the bator..so sad, cause it looks like only 3 are viable with 12 days to go

I didn't set them all..so wondering if I combine what is viable into one bator ( I have another bator with marans in it.)

Could I put the other 2 eggs that weren't incubated in ..they would be 3 weeks old..could there be a chance they could still hatch

Another words..how old can eggs sit in a box, in room temp before they might not be viable
To try and incubate them?
Thank u

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom