Faverolles Thread

Quote:
I wish you were closer as well - i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a black hen - oh my -

Those rosettes look great! As i dont show chickens i wont get one - but from my days as a professional dog handler and showing rabbits makes me sad that i havent gotten a rosette in a few years!
sad.png

I am pleased to announce my new rooster is calming a bit - getting a bit quieter. Tho i had to laugh as last night when i opened the door to their coop - they finally went out to free range! makes me happy. They have a very large run - and it has sand - but it always pleases me to see them free ranging. I am thinking these birds have never seen grass- they were in heaven! At one point my hen - Truly - walked by me and was looking at me chattering away - like thanks Dad!
love.gif
Yes i am a 44 year old chicken dork!

Really? I am not far from there right now! I work in Worthington!

Yeah he is quietiing a bit - i think he is just making his presence known to the area- - lil stinker

Quote:
I wish you were closer as well - i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a black hen - oh my -

Those rosettes look great! As i dont show chickens i wont get one - but from my days as a professional dog handler and showing rabbits makes me sad that i havent gotten a rosette in a few years!
sad.png

I am pleased to announce my new rooster is calming a bit - getting a bit quieter. Tho i had to laugh as last night when i opened the door to their coop - they finally went out to free range! makes me happy. They have a very large run - and it has sand - but it always pleases me to see them free ranging. I am thinking these birds have never seen grass- they were in heaven! At one point my hen - Truly - walked by me and was looking at me chattering away - like thanks Dad!
love.gif
Yes i am a 44 year old chicken dork!

Maybe, I could pick her up and bring her back home with and deliver her to you 2 weeks later

Quote:
It's too bad you're not closer to me! I have the broodiest cochin that I'm going to be selling at my show on the 22 in Sussex, NJ. She's been broody six times this year!! I don't hatch, so I don't need this, and she gets all the other girls thinking broody is the way to go - next thing I know there are like five of them fighting over the nest boxes. She's in a cage right now 'cause she did it again last week. Know anyone near North Jersey that could pick her up for you?

i actually had 3 of my cochin girls go broody back to back on me this past spring right into the heat of summer! i don't keep an incubator so having the broody hens saves space, electricity, and keeps me in check from trying to hatch more than i need or can rehome.

my first girl tried it twice but keep cracking and eating her eggs so i sold her off. the second girl went broody 3 times but only hatched twice and hasn't tried it again. one set was my own eggs from my Cuckoo project roo which she hatched 2 chicks-a boy and girl, but neither ended up with the barring, the girl was a salmon with some odd black barring seeping through the color. she was neat and i was planning on keeping her till i lost her during Irene coming through. the second batch were supposed to be favs but they weren't fully favs from what i can tell-both are boys that have frizzled feathers and 5 toes on both feet! one boy has great 5th toes and nice color coming in but he has a small crest like he was crossed with a polish?!? the other boy has fuzed 5th toes and almost looks like he is supposed to be an ermine project! they look cute and are friendly but i don't have time to try and sort this out into more breeding pens. i'm hoping someone local would be interested in working with the ermine boy but he probably would just become part of a mixed flock or someone's eventual dinner.

my 3rd girl went broody 5 times! 1st time it was on fav eggs that ended up being duds for her and she took a couple weeks off and then tried again and couldn't be broken up from three more sets of eggs that either didn't develop or went bad because of the terrible heat. the 5th batch of eggs hatched out with 4 sweet lavender cochin chicks on Aug 10th! she's still with them and hasn't gone back to laying yet!
he.gif
she is dedicated to the bone!
lol.png
still trying to smother them when they're 8 weeks and about 1/2 the size of her now! good thing she had started going through her 18 month molt while sitting on them as they feathered out. i have a barred cochin roo in with her and he has been helping to keep them warm too! he's just as dedicated as she is!

Back
Top Bottom