Faverolles Thread

Quote:
I haven't hatched enough favs yet to have been able to process any, but I understand their meat is to die for!!

I really want to raise some standards so that I can eat a few roosters and see how they are.

Henry

as for their meat, it's not bad at all! though you need to let them grow out somewhat longer than the 20 weeks that i let mine.

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:
I really want to raise some standards so that I can eat a few roosters and see how they are.

Henry

as for their meat, it's not bad at all! though you need to let them grow out somewhat longer than the 20 weeks that i let mine.​

I am alread anticipating a longer wait to eat them.

Quote:
as for their meat, it's not bad at all! though you need to let them grow out somewhat longer than the 20 weeks that i let mine.

I am alread anticipating a longer wait to eat them.

Sounds like it'll be worth it!!
wink.png

I defenetly need to take some pictures of the chicks! I had to cull one little guy but I expected to all along he had trouble walking and eating and I had to help him out of the egg so now I have 4 blrw bantams and 4 faverolles.

Henry

Henry, do you remember what you marked the eggs with? i just candled them all and found that 3 marked BF and one marked FAV didn't continue to develop past about 2 days. i guess i'll have to count tomorrow how many of each mark are left since i got 9 from you and 8 from McCallum. i'm thinking that yours might be the FAV eggs and those look like they are all developing fine! the BF mostly look questionable.

i didn't get to check the eggs before i put them in so i noticed the 3 duds had detached air cells. PO must have been rough on them somewhere in between.

i'm afraid the eggs under Chloe might be duds too. i've been expecting them to hatch any day now and i haven't heard any peeping from them. i have eggs under Sweetie my banty cochin and 2 out of the 6 under her i checked and both were developing!
celebrate.gif
lets hope i have some fav crosses from those!

Last edited:
Chickie'sMoma :

Henry, do you remember what you marked the eggs with? i just candled them all and found that 3 marked BF and one marked FAV didn't continue to develop past about 2 days. i guess i'll have to count tomorrow how many of each mark are left since i got 9 from you and 8 from McCallum. i'm thinking that yours might be the FAV eggs and those look like they are all developing fine! the BF mostly look questionable.

i didn't get to check the eggs before i put them in so i noticed the 3 duds had detached air cells. PO must have been rough on them somewhere in between.

i'm afraid the eggs under Chloe might be duds too. i've been expecting them to hatch any day now and i haven't heard any peeping from them. i have eggs under Sweetie my banty cochin and 2 out of the 6 under her i checked and both were developing!
celebrate.gif
lets hope i have some fav crosses from those!

Mine are the FAV that is how I mark all of my eggs or I write bsfav is I have everyone seprated. One pen is always covered by a salmon and the other is covered by my blue salmon. You got the eggs before the new cockeral was introduced so they are all covered by the blue salmon boy. Glad to here all but 1 is doing well!

Henry​

Found old pictures of my Meyer Hatchery LF hens
4305_dscf1410_1jpg.jpeg

4305_dscf1409jpg.jpeg

4305_dscf1265jpg.jpeg

I don't think they were bad for hatchery stock girls espeacially the first girl.

Henry

Quote:
Take a look at this site under Faverolles to see their description of egg color, you can compare it to the descriptions of the other breeds. The standard Faverolles that I had, I believe the seller got them from a hatchery. The eggs were closer to a light/creamy tan & not like the usual brown. Most descriptions given in articles say "tinted." They were light but nothing near white or off white, that's the best I can say! Good luck, they are a wonderful docile breed. I only have the bantam variety now & am very pleased with these sweeties, they lay a small egg. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom