Faverolles Thread

Does anyone have any bantam salmon eggs for sale?

Let me know if you find any, I want some too
smile.png

Thanks Cloverleaf! I'd say from your pics that all of my chicks have beautiful seperation, except one that has one 'eh' foot like your roo. Even the one that was born with curled feet has straight and pretty toes after I put little cardboard booties on him. We call him Paddlefoot.

I hate to pester everyone with questions. But I know that feathers on the second toe are desirable in Cochins, but not in other breeds. Should the second toe be completely clean in Faverolles? I'm hoping a little fluff is ok since the majority of my babies have it.

Thanks again, I'm soaking up knowledge like a sponge here!

The Standard says "outer toes, slightly feathered"...so feathering on the middle toes would be a defect, and on the points scale it is a deduction of 1/2 to 1 1/2 points per toe, depending on how heavily feathered they are.
wink.png

The Standard says "outer toes, slightly feathered"...so feathering on the middle toes would be a defect, and on the points scale it is a deduction of 1/2 to 1 1/2 points per toe, depending on how heavily feathered they are.
wink.png

Thanks! Nice to know I wasn't too far off. I don't think there would be a whole lot of competition here in ID, so I'll probably get away with fluffy second toes. We'll see how they grow :)

Speaking of leg feathering. One of my cockerels that I am debating about keeping has extreme leg feathers. His feathers extend down his second two. Completely. Is this something that needs to stay out of the breeding pen. I know I will have to work with faults I just do not want to work with something too difficult.

Speaking of leg feathering. One of my cockerels that I am debating about keeping has extreme leg feathers. His feathers extend down his second two. Completely. Is this something that needs to stay out of the breeding pen. I know I will have to work with faults I just do not want to work with something too difficult.

I don't know how hard that would be to correct. I would say thought that if the girls don't have it and if he was one of the better ones, keep him and cull for it in the offspring....

I would think that a cockerel with good body, shape, size, and coloring would be valuable for breeding even with some problems with the leg feathering. I've heard that the bodyshape and size are the hardest things to breed for, and coloring and feathering can be tidied up from there.

Thank you for the advice. It is such a hard decision. I just do not want to get rid of the wrong roo. They are going on eight months and I have changed my mind multiple times. Every time I had made my mind up they would start to look different, You really do need to let them grow to get any idea how they will look. They do not fully mature until they are three years old. Is that right? I am taking temperament into account also.

Having a docile breed does make handling the birds much easier. I had my first outbreak of lice. Not fun. The favs were the easiest to handle and when you have a lot of birds to take care of ease of handling makes a big difference. I am really enjoying all their little personalities.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom