Faverolles Thread

Does anyone know if cloverleaf is selling eggs this time of yr. ? I hear her hens lay large eggs? Keesmom sure does have pretty hens too. What state does she hail from. I am on the east coast and cloverleaf is on the west coast so someone closer would be nice. Gloria Jean

I spent some time in the coop today, and they are certainly dressed for a Maine winter!

And, a Salmon Faverolle roo is truly a beautiful thing! This is my first experience with them in person, I have only seen pics, and the camera cant capture their true colors. They are positively regal! He is really something!

Good looking birds. Glad I have some of their relatives. Mine are hunkered down for winter here to. Heck of a lot of snow and with wind chill its supposed to be -10 tonight.

Does anyone know if cloverleaf is selling eggs this time of yr. ? I hear her hens lay large eggs? Keesmom sure does have pretty hens too. What state does she hail from. I am on the east coast and cloverleaf is on the west coast so someone closer would be nice. Gloria Jean
Cloverleaf does sell eggs. I believe she just started her waiting list for spring. So won't have eggs available for a while. Keesmom is in MA her birds are great and that is who my birds are from as well as Dick. They are both in MA on the east coast.

Adequate coop ventilation is the best way to avoid frostbite. The cold isn't the biggest factor, moisture is. Oh, and down the line you can select for smaller combs on your birds.

Last edited:
Henry, how do you plan to deal with the cold temps and the tall combs? I hate the frostbite and bagbalming.
Right now I don't have a male. But I do have pretty good ventilation in the coop so I haven't had a problem with the hens really getting frostbite yet. I dont't currently have a male though so haven't had to much of a problem. We will see when I pick up my male in a couple weeks.

Adequate coop ventilation is the best way to avoid frostbite. The cold isn't the biggest factor, moisture is. Oh, and down the line you can select for smaller combs on your birds.
I will for sure be selecting for smaller combs on my males down the line. One thing I am happy about is how cold hardy the faverolles hens are. As Dick and you have both said the pullets start laying with no light in the middle of winter and keep on trucking. I am getting 2-3 eggs a day from my group of pullets and I would guess only 3 are laying yet.

Sorry this is backwards, the new mobile site is not working very well at all. I love the idea of selecting for smaller combs. Interesting tidbit, I had two leghorns with huge combs, and they never got frostbite, they slept with their heads under a wing.
My roo has a bit of frostbite, and one of the hens too. I had some issues with it snowing in my coop, and as keesmom said it is the moisture that does it. I fixed the problem and it has been fine since, even last night. I have had roosters get frostbite on the side of their comb where their breath rises up from their nostrils, that is something bag balm can help with. They will also get it from getting wet when drinking. Again the bag balm helps for that. I have ordered some mushers secret to try, I will let you know how it goes. Although it's not an issue with my new coop so it may be a one sided experiment.
Keesmom does have pretty birds, lucky me to start with such nice stock, thanks Keesmom :)
I read an article in a poultry magazine written by a long time poultry raiser who said he doesn't give his chickens water in the winter, he gives them buckets of snow! Supposedly since he began doing that he has never had frosbite. I haven't tried it though. He also said he used candles to do his barn chores during a power outage and his hens laid better with the candlelight. Interesting but again I haven't tried it.

I will for sure be selecting for smaller combs on my males down the line. One thing I am happy about is how cold hardy the faverolles hens are. As Dick and you have both said the pullets start laying with no light in the middle of winter and keep on trucking. I am getting 2-3 eggs a day from my group of pullets and I would guess only 3 are laying yet. 

Last edited:
Good looking birds. Glad I have some of their relatives. Mine are hunkered down for winter here to. Heck of a lot of snow and with wind chill its supposed to be -10 tonight.

I left work this morning at 5:15am. Driving through town the temperature gauge in front of the bank read 10 degrees. I believe it's suppose to be another cold one tomorrow morning then tend to warm up a little bit.
Dick

ep.gif
Wow, that is cold! I thought it was cold here in western washington last night - it was a balmy 28 degrees!

Back
Top Bottom