Faverolles Thread

Have Faverolles eggs in the bator now! (Bought from Papa brooder). Wanted to join the thread so I can learn what i need to know! Such beautiful birds I can hardly wait for them to hatch!!!

Oh forgot to ask... Anyone in MO have Favs???

I was just looking on craigslist the other day and came across someone in Clark, MO selling some.

Has any one ever had problems, behavior wise, with a Faverolle rooster? I'm pretty sure one of my chicks is a rooster and I'd like to keep him, so what is the temperament?

So far, I've had 5 SF roos and 2 of them went in the freezer. I currently have 3, two are 8 months old and one is a year. So far, so good (knock on wood)....

very nice!!! LF blue is very rare here... the roosters tend to show the bleed threw of other colors more than the hens do... i have a LF blackXsalmon rooster that is almost a birchen color... i plan on breeding him to a splash Orpington and make some blue's... i am also going to breed him back to a salmon and see what i can get out of that breeding... sadly that is my only 2 choices as i don't have any blue or black hens...
Yep, He's a big boy too. He has a small amount of red/brown in his hackles. The pullet I have for him doesn't have any red on her.

Thanks for your input Echosrevenge! I started with four (2 of each male and female) but lost two so I'm hoping against hope that I have at least 1 pullet left! I hope your guess is right, as I'd wanted to breed them eventually and if I still have 1 of each I might be in good shape! I'm never going to buy anymore chicks from a hatchery, I'll find a good breeder next time! Thanks again!

Last edited:
HI, would definently treat comfrey like bamboo. in a controlled pot or enviornment. It will spread like wildfire and REAL hard to get rid of because the roots dig deep and can start a new plant from a sliver.......
I did consider a large pot, but am not convinced I will get enough to feed chickens that way. I figure with chickens eating it and some well planned planting it won't spread too far. I have to put it against a wall or driveway or something like that so that there is a large 'dead sea' it won't traverse. Its medicinal so I will be gathering it years as well which I think might help. Thanks.
Here's a pic of my blue roo. He's around 7 months old :)
I agree with everyone else of course because IDK how anything could be better than beards and blue.
So far, I've had 5 SF roos and 2 of them went in the freezer. I currently have 3, two are 8 months old and one is a year. So far, so good (knock on wood)....
IDK how you do it. I think about eating the Favs here and cringe. They are like stuffed animals that lay eggs. The kids just love them and ... I know they are chickens, really I do, but they aren't quite the raptors the rest are. I have to find a butcher here.

Ash, there are all-male comfrey hybrids that are only spread by intentional root cuttings - the self-seeding variety, in my experience, is only invasive of left to go without being harvested frequently. We used to use it for fodder for our goats in the NW, and despite having the "invasive" variety, the goats and chickens kept it well in check.

I'm wrapping up my hatching season and my blue and black Faverolles are still laying. I sell them for $60.00/dozen and that includes the shipping for one flat rate box. Message me if you are interested. Happy hatching everyone!

Back
Top Bottom