Faverolles Thread

I don't know if any of you know clover leaf farm but I'm her son.

Cloverleaf Farm? cloverleaf. cloverleaf. Hhhhmm...I might have heard of her.

wink.png

Welcome to the thread, Garrett!

ah, the joys of clicker training...when I was working as a dog trainer in college, one of my roomates target-trained our giant Oscar fish to jump out of the tank and freak people right out!

Wow... Are there competitions for these chickens?

no... mostly the chickens are taught in clinics for dog trainers. Dog trainers often handicap themselves with "short cuts" involving body language or speech. This makes using a clicker training tool less effective. Believe it or not, a chicken is the ideal subject for sharpening skills with a clicker. Mostly because they do not respond to voice commands, do not look at humans in any "way" other then what they can get out of us, and because they loose interest quickly if mistakes are made during training sessions- all of this means you have to use just your skills regarding timing with the click and reward, which helps a trainer build a better skill set. I had looked into going to one of these 3 day seminars a while back, but the cost of travel made it an unrealistic option for me... I do however work some with my chickens at home, mostly just training them to go where I need them to though.

I am not sure why Garrett trained his other then for fun, and he may or may not have gotten his chicken as far as the one in the video... just knew that a video was the easiest explanation
wink.png

Wow! I looked at the video! I knew they were smart and I knew all my hens had personalities. It makes me sort of wary of wanting to eat anymore chicken. I am not a vegetarian. but jees I hate eating something as smart as the animals we eat. I don't eat my hens. They have names and live out their lives here. The roos's that I keep do too. I just don't keep them all. I pick out just a few that will be keepers. The only ones I have eaten were ones that flogged my backside and out of my anger lost their heads and went promptly into a pot
hide.gif
I was not sorry and they tasted great. But never a hen, my sweet ladies.

Wow! I looked at the video! I knew they were smart and I knew all my hens had personalities. It makes me sort of wary of wanting to eat anymore chicken. I am not a vegetarian. but jees I hate eating something as smart as the animals we eat. I don't eat my hens. They have names and live out their lives here. The roos's that I keep do too. I just don't keep them all. I pick out just a few that will be keepers. The only ones I have eaten were ones that flogged my backside and out of my anger lost their heads and went promptly into a pot
hide.gif
I was not sorry and they tasted great. But never a hen, my sweet ladies.

Actually they are used for teaching the clicker skills because their thought process is very primitive, and they cannot be forced to do something without them shutting down- in other words because they are not that smart. The more basic a creatures thought process, the more strict you must be with the laws of learning, so there are no short cuts with teaching a chicken.

Pigs are smarter then most dogs and the stuff done to them by the pork industry would get you jail time if done to a pet... I guess it all depends on your perspective as how you feel about eating them. Personally I have no issues with it, pets get buried, food gets "processed"... sometimes the lines do get a tad blurry, but still try to make sure at the end of the day I can sleep at night
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom