Faverolles Thread

My little baby that hatched Thursday. (Eggs came from Fancy Favie. Thanks!!)

Hi everyone! I was curious if any of you knew about blue/lav genetics. I've seen them, though not personally and would love more info.

Hi everyone! I was curious if any of you knew about blue/lav genetics. I've seen them, though not personally and would love more info.
What is it you would like to know? Blue is a diluter of black, lavender is a diluter of black and red. Blue will show with just one copy of the gene, lavender is only visually evident with 2 copies. A bird can carry both blue and lavender, they are not exclusive. If you want pure lavender birds then only breed to black and avoid blue.

blue/black/splash genetics

black x black = 100% black
black x blue = 50% black, 50% blue
blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
splash x splash = 100% splash
black x splash = 100% blue

lavender/black genetics

black x black = black
black x lavender = 100% visually black, carry lavender gene (lav split)
black x lavender split =50% black, 50 % visually black lav split
lav split x lav split = 25% lavender, 50% visually black lav split, 25% black
lav split x lavender = 50% lav split, 50% lavender
lavender x lavender = lavender

You will not be able to tell the pure blacks from the lavender split blacks. They will look the same.

Lavender will also dilute red to a yellowy buff color. Lavender is also located near a gene that controls feather quality. Lavender feathers are often frayed.

Last edited:
Thanks, does anyone have any examples of the colors in both male and female? Just curious as to what they look like at hatch and as adults. Thanks in advance!

Thanks, does anyone have any examples of the colors in both male and female? Just curious as to what they look like at hatch and as adults. Thanks in advance!
In Faverolles? Salmon Faverolles are the black form - males have a black chest and females are salmon and have a dark grey underfluff and black wing/tail tips. Blue salmon males have a blue chest instead of black, females are salmon and have a blue/grey underfluff and wing/tail tips. Splash salmon males have a white base with mahogany, blue and black splotches. Females are salmon with a white underfluff, wing and tail tips.

Lavender salmon males will have a lavender chest and a washed out buff wingbow. Salmon hens will be a washed out buff color with lavender underfluff and wing/tail tips.

Splash salmon male

Splash salmon pullet

Faverolles also come in solid blue/black/splash. Very hard to find.

I have no lavender pictures though I have seen some.

Back
Top Bottom