Faverolles Thread

I really don't want to do shipped eggs, and I have not been able to find anyone in driving distance from me. I have done some research and cackle and Meyer seem to be the best. I was hoping someone here had experience with them or other hatcheries to help me make the decision. I am located in South Louisiana if anyone happens to breed them in the area.
I ordered 2 from Ideal. They are only 3 weeks, but neither one has accurate coloring, at least nothing I would think to use in a breeding program. Also, one of them has scissor beak.
I have had some lovely hatchery girls, but these aren't a breed I would get from a hatchery again.

There is also Pam Mynard in southeast Texas.
^Is she in the Conroe area? I think I've talked to her.
@rafu This may be your closest bet

I'm so excited....I will picking up a Faverolles from a semi-local farm in 2 days! I've been wanting to add to my flock of 4 since I got them 5 months ago. I'm so glad I found someone relatively near (2.5 hours away). I've been researching how to sex the babies but the more I read this thread, the more confused I'm getting! Lol. The farm won't sex them, but they'll let me exchange if I get a roo. I hope I pick a pullet so I don't have to drive back in a few months to exchange a chick!

I thought for sure that my 5 week old LF Salmon Faverolle was a girl, but now I'm starting to question it. I already have a Salmon Faverolle cockerel, and my girl is starting to feather in like him only not as dark. Is it possible she's just of poor hatchery quality or do you suspect roo also? I got her from a local family that runs their business out of their home. I think the family gets their originals from a big hatchery though.

Are you sure it is 5 weeks old? Mine looked like yours around 3 weeks. You might have to wait a couple more weeks to tell gender. The good news is that I don't see any comb development or red color on the face. My cockerel had an obvious comb by 4 weeks and was sparring with his brother a little bit.

I'm also looking at the 5th toe in the pictures. It looks like they are joined to the 4th toe. Is this something that should be selected against when breeding? Not sure what the breed standard says since I'm not showing or breeding them. I have 3 chicks with normal toes and one that has the 5 toe connected. They all hatched from the same parentage.

Hello, quick question. Next year we plan on getting a lot more chicks. I'd like a couple faverolles. I've also read in multiple locations that this breed is better not from a hatchery. I'm sure all are better from a good breeder, but seen it stated about this specific breed more. How do I go about finding them local? All I know is to scout craigslist. Is there a better way. (Btw, southwest MI) Thanks

Hello, quick question. Next year we plan on getting a lot more chicks. I'd like a couple faverolles. I've also read in multiple locations that this breed is better not from a hatchery. I'm sure all are better from a good breeder, but seen it stated about this specific breed more. How do I go about finding them local? All I know is to scout craigslist. Is there a better way. (Btw, southwest MI) Thanks
I've actually found this page to be a good resource for finding breeders.
You could also search the buy, sell, trade forum on here and fnd a breeder I'm sure.
I found some gorgeous birds in OH from the buy, sell, trade. Probably close enough for a quick transit, if you don't mind shipping.
I didn't end up ordering from there. I'm in Texas and was worried about too long of a transit.
I will definitely get some eggs from her when I'm able though.
I'd be happy to share her info

Back
Top Bottom