Faverolles Thread

I know this was discussed awhile ago but what causes the bulging eye? Is it because its a hatchery bird or is this something I may see randomly in the future with chicks? Is it genetic?
from what I've been told in here it seems to be genetic. It's like water on the brain or something. I can't remember the actual term but if you read back a few pages I asked about it 3 weeks ago on this thread.

I know, and they're not any better yet!
cool.png
(sunglasses because of his shiny little bottom)

Dizzy is 3 weeks old today! She is still doing good aside from her bad eye. It is starting to look foggy now (I knew that would happen) here's pics.
I think she's beautiful!! with my baby, I worried that the other chicks would pick at it, but they never did. Maybe chickens don't spend a lot of time staring into each others eyes.
smile.png

I think she's beautiful!!  with my baby, I worried that the other chicks would pick at it, but they never did.  Maybe chickens don't spend a lot of time staring into each others eyes.:)
Thanks! I think she's pretty too. The other chicks dont pick on her so far. I'm more concerned with the big teenage chickens when they end up all together. I hope they are nice to her. I may end up with a "loony" bin for dizzy and any other more docile birds. My 2 7 month old barred rocks are mean to my teenagers so they are separated still. I hope thst over time my big girls start being nice and accept the little ones.

Thanks! I think she's pretty too. The other chicks dont pick on her so far. I'm more concerned with the big teenage chickens when they end up all together. I hope they are nice to her. I may end up with a "loony" bin for dizzy and any other more docile birds. My 2 7 month old barred rocks are mean to my teenagers so they are separated still. I hope thst over time my big girls start being nice and accept the little ones.
I have a "mean" pen. It's always interesting to find out who's the meanest meanie....Then I take the meanest and put her in a pen with a "non fave" rooster that's a bit mean. If he gets too mean, he goes into isolation for a while, and she gets to move back to her original pen...plus, taking the mean hen out of the pen for a while sets up a whole new pecking order in that pen.
ep.gif
That often solves the problem with the original mean hen. Yep, I do have a punishment "system", but I just hate it when someone is getting picked on who doesn't deserve it.

I have a "mean" pen.  It's always interesting to find out who's the meanest meanie....Then I take the meanest and put her in a pen with a "non fave" rooster that's a bit mean.  If he gets too mean, he goes into isolation for a while, and she gets to move back to her original pen...plus, taking the mean hen out of the pen for a while sets up a whole new pecking order in that pen.  :eek:    That often solves the problem with the original mean hen. Yep, I do have a punishment "system", but I just hate it when someone is getting picked on who doesn't deserve it.  
my two barred rocks that are mean are only mean if one of the others goes in their pen. But not when free ranging. I dont even know how to get them to be nice. Separating them does nothing because they are already separated and they prefer it that way.

Back
Top Bottom