Faverolles Thread

my two barred rocks that are mean are only mean if one of the others goes in their pen. But not when free ranging. I dont even know how to get them to be nice. Separating them does nothing because they are already separated and they prefer it that way.
Hey, I hear you....sometime the magic just doesn't work
smile.png

Hello from East TN. I am in the research mode of acquiring some standard sized Faverolles and maybe some Favacauna. I like a variety of egg shades, the fluffy gnome-like beards, and mellow temperament, as well as winter egg laying. I almost bought some pullets from a hatchery, but I would really rather work with a local or small breeder. I want pretty, pretty girls. Maybe a roo, to breed with the best, and the rest of the girls can be egg layers. Where do you all get your stock?

I am new to the BYC community as well as this board, if you care to know.

Welcome PoultryArk!!! I am sure someone will know of a breeder in your area. I started with chickens 4 yrs ago and have had over a dozen breeds to date. However, the Faverolles have stolen my heart!! Sweet lil fluff balls!

Hey all, long time since I posted but thought Id share some photos of my LF girls all grown up. Would be curious how you all thought they turned out. Oh and excuse the dirty faces, no idea how you are supposed to keep white beards white, they get so grubby!. Its all dirt, no black feathers in their beards.

First is our families favourite, Carl. She is such a sweetheart. When we throw their scratch mix out she just stands there ignoring it all till you hold out her own personal handfull to her.

Not sure what the scar above the eye is about, been there for about 6 months now. I dont know if someone just keeps feather plucking it or what.

Then we have Colonel

and lucky last is our cross beak Winry who is like a naughty kid most of the time. She manages to escape whenever we are out in the yard, behaves herself and stays home the rest of the time. She has managed to work her way up to pretty much the top of the pecking order. I suspect she is the best in colour but pretty much a runt compared to the other two.

Last edited:
Hello from East TN. I am in the research mode of acquiring some standard sized Faverolles and maybe some Favacauna. I like a variety of egg shades, the fluffy gnome-like beards, and mellow temperament, as well as winter egg laying. I almost bought some pullets from a hatchery, but I would really rather work with a local or small breeder. I want pretty, pretty girls. Maybe a roo, to breed with the best, and the rest of the girls can be egg layers. Where do you all get your stock?

I am new to the BYC community as well as this board, if you care to know.
I don't know of any breeders near you. You could try going to the APA National this year. It is in Knoxville on Dec 6-7. There are a few breeders planning to attend. Even if they have nothing for sale now you can make arrangements for next year.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to the APA show this year! I can not wait to extend my chicken network.
appps- have you tried rooster booster? It is an anti pick salve with some aloe, and other healing components in it. I have had great success with just a little dab.

I have started pairs available, $100 for 3 month olds, $150 for 5 month olds, price is per pair shipped to anywhere in the lower 48. My flock is predominantly Boulanger genetics, with some Merlin and a handful of superior examples from various other strains. These birds have already pasted muster when I culled, at least 3-6 different agesI use for selection. I only have a half acre, so I cull VERY hard and often. You are looking at the top 10-15% of my 2014 hatches
smile.png

An example of a mature hen from my line:

5 month pairs will be selected from these groups, there are more cockerels but they don't like to cooperate for group shots.

Welcome to BYC!
I have faverolles and am also working on som favacaunas. I have found some people look down on my project saying I'm just creating more EEs but that's ok to me. I have some specific goals and I am excited to move forward with that project. I hope to start incubating soon but have been hesitant because of the young roo I have. They change so much I have gone back and forth if I should keep him or find another. I am constantly on the lookout for hens who lay a more richley colored egg, preferably a brighter blue but no one wants to sell those hens so I've incubated some bright eggs in hopes that what hatched will lay as nice but I they are not quite laying age. Anyway enough of my rambling. I'm in OK, not exactly local but I would love to know what kind of traits and colors you are aiming for :)

[COLOR=0000CD]Hello from East TN. I am in the research mode of acquiring some standard sized Faverolles and maybe some Favacauna. I like a variety of egg shades, the fluffy gnome-like beards, and mellow temperament, as well as winter egg laying. I almost bought some pullets from a hatchery, but I would really rather work with a local or small breeder. I want pretty, pretty girls. Maybe a roo, to breed with the best, and the rest of the girls can be egg layers. Where do you all get your stock? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]I am new to the BYC community as well as this board, if you care to know. [/COLOR]

Welcome to BYC!
I have faverolles and am also working on som favacaunas. I have found some people look down on my project saying I'm just creating more EEs but that's ok to me. I have some specific goals and I am excited to move forward with that project. I hope to start incubating soon but have been hesitant because of the young roo I have. They change so much I have gone back and forth if I should keep him or find another. I am constantly on the lookout for hens who lay a more richley colored egg, preferably a brighter blue but no one wants to sell those hens so I've incubated some bright eggs in hopes that what hatched will lay as nice but I they are not quite laying age. Anyway enough of my rambling. I'm in OK, not exactly local but I would love to know what kind of traits and colors you are aiming for
smile.png

I kinda think some kind of Favcana may be here to stay....My pet chicken sells a variety of them...There are so many mixes now....its whatever pleases You.

Thanks Keesmom regarding the Blue....I will try to get some pics but my puter is down and i just did a reset of password so i can enjoy everyone on BYC again on my husbands tablet. When i get my puter back will try to send a pic also of tail feathers from my blue salmon hen ( real blue grey centers) and splash salmon hen..(white centers)..I have noticed that many of my Salmon tail feathers have grown paler as they get older or maybe dietary???

Back
Top Bottom