Faverolles Thread

Anybody in South dakota/Nebraska/Iowa/Minnesota area breed LF Favs? I don't have an incubator yet, so I would need chicks or older.
I've been hunting for at some for over a year now. But I think I'm cursed,
barnie.gif
because I've emailed multiple breeders and every one has either just sold out of Favs or no longer breeds chickens at all. I even emailed a hatchery out of sheer desperation this week, and they also sold out of their Faverolles! LOL I'm starting to think it's just me. I have also emailed multiple people, including officers, on the Faverolles Fanciers club and haven't gotten a response.

So, does anyone on this thread live near me? Or know of anyone who ships chicks? I guess I'm not opposed to a hatchery, but I would like to show eventually, so I'd prefer to start with the best breeding stock I could get.

Thanks in advance for any help at all!!!
HI, check back 2-5 pages of posts on this thread and think sandiklaws had posted young pairs shipped…Its not You….Don't know what hatchery since several folks here have posted birds that are not consistent for color…Cackle implies in pictures that they show their birds. You might try googling Urch for chicks in the spring…Regarding the Faverolles club,I hear it has become a regional organization and the national club has been dissolved as far as i know. Many of the folks i first learned of have changed breeds or retired or…..Check each state for poultry clubs and their local shows, google fair info, they often list superintendents to contact for each livestock area during the show…., ask Your feed stores. Best of Luck

I'm from southwestern MN and have the bantam faverolles. Ken Splett from Freeman SD also has the bantams. Over here in MN I know Duane Urch has some standards. However at the last MSPA show just weeks ago he was looking for some standards too. Marilyn Pikal (Fox Hollow Calls) from here in MN has some standards but hasn't seen her selling chicks yet.

I have a spazzy chickenest of all chickens drama queen cockerel named RuPaul. We've tried isolating him and getting him more comfortable with "the evil hand" and handling (he's in a group with 6 pullets), but he's still a total spazz and freaks out. I've had him since he was 1 week old. He has been handled a lot, except maybe for 2-3 weeks when I realized he was a cockerel and hadn't decided what to do with him. I decided to try and keep him in hopes that he isn't too loud or aggressive as a roo, and that a no crow collar might soften his crows. Anyways, if he continues to be drama queen and becomes increasingly hard to handle as he gets bigger, he might be renamed "Dinner." I hope not.

Can anyone give some advice on how to handle this spazzy drama queen RuPaul? He likes mealworms, but when I work on bonding and handling with him, he forgets that the hand and I are his friends the next day. He's a smidge better and no longer pecks my hand, but still has a long ways to go. I've tried: approaching from the side, approaching slowly, don't let him go until he calms down when I'm holding him, mealworm offerings from "the evil hand." When the hand approaches, he screams bloody murder (a foreboding?). When I actually catch him, he struggles so much and scratches the dickens out of my arms and legs. I also have his sister, who is yappy, but easy to handle and she even enjoys an occasional cuddle.

Thanks!

I have a spazzy chickenest of all chickens drama queen cockerel named RuPaul. We've tried isolating him and getting him more comfortable with "the evil hand" and handling (he's in a group with 6 pullets), but he's still a total spazz and freaks out. I've had him since he was 1 week old. He has been handled a lot, except maybe for 2-3 weeks when I realized he was a cockerel and hadn't decided what to do with him. I decided to try and keep him in hopes that he isn't too loud or aggressive as a roo, and that a no crow collar might soften his crows. Anyways, if he continues to be drama queen and becomes increasingly hard to handle as he gets bigger, he might be renamed "Dinner." I hope not.

Can anyone give some advice on how to handle this spazzy drama queen RuPaul? He likes mealworms, but when I work on bonding and handling with him, he forgets that the hand and I are his friends the next day. He's a smidge better and no longer pecks my hand, but still has a long ways to go. I've tried: approaching from the side, approaching slowly, don't let him go until he calms down when I'm holding him, mealworm offerings from "the evil hand." When the hand approaches, he screams bloody murder (a foreboding?). When I actually catch him, he struggles so much and scratches the dickens out of my arms and legs. I also have his sister, who is yappy, but easy to handle and she even enjoys an occasional cuddle.

Thanks!

First, he is still rather young. Second, just because he does not like to be held does not mean he will be aggressive. All of my birds go through a spazzy stage before settling as they mature. However none of my males enjoy being held. But I only pick up my birds to check for pests and overall health.

Last edited:

Thanks!

When i pick up birds i hold them upright with their legs firmly in one hand tucked under my arm….When screaming i gently cover their head with my hand against my side. The darkness calms them.

Thanks!

I have read and heard many times not to hold or cuddle roosters. I give my guy his space and only pick him up from his perch in the evenings to check for parasites. In turn, if he occasionally rushes at me or bumps me from behind I hold my ground and give him the stinkeye. That puts him in his place. Im bigger than he is so of course he is going to challenge me occasionally. And if I get a peck he gets a gentle thump. We have a healthy mutual respect and he is a wonderful, relaxed flock leader.

When i pick up birds i hold them upright with their legs firmly in one hand tucked under my arm….When screaming i gently cover their head with my hand against my side. The darkness calms them.

He seems to calm for a little bit when I rub the back of his neck, but I haven't tried covering his head. I'll try that!
I will try covering his eyes.

Quote:
All of the Faverolles I've grown have gone through a crazy stage until they are at least four months old, when they finally seem to get over the panic that I'm going to kill them if I look at them. Then they turn into normal chickens. Sometimes I don't even bother to pick them up until then, because it just freaks them out. Talk about screaming! Some of them never get over being held, others almost demand it everyday. He's just a baby yet - give him time.

Back
Top Bottom