Faverolles Thread

Your girl looks like she will be pretty when dry. Almost Mahogany…...There are a handful of Salmon Faverolles owners in Western Washington so am sure You can easily add in the future…Do You visit the BYC Washington thread?
What is the difference between salmon and mahogany? Is it just the depth/darkness of color?

Thanks for the information….I communicated with Buck Creek when i first looked for Mahoganies, never connected…Chickonthehill was wonderful and helped me with eggs and lots of pictures of her own. The best ones i have came from her.

I forgot about Cuckoo…..There was someone selling bantam eggs this summer on ebay that had a variety of standard colors….Not sure if they were project or ???
That would be Misty. She has had them for a while. Some are project colors, others she got from Leisha (I think). I think she has black, white, blue, salmon and salmon. Maybe some others too.

I have seen blue/black/splash, white, buff, ermines in progress, lavender and lavender salmon in progress, mahogany, blue/splash salmon and of course salmon. Plain old salmon is still my favorite, followed by white and blue.

What is the difference between salmon and mahogany? Is it just the depth/darkness of color?
The hens are darker. The big difference is with the males. This one is also from Buck Creek Chickens

0502ef93cf1fe2b1fb5524ce99aa1661.jpg

Last edited:
The Roosters are by far the prettier of the Mahogany Faverolles, the hens just look like a
Hatchery quality salmon!
hmm.png
Yes, the Roosters really stand out in color…….The hens that are shown in this pic and the other by Keesmom are consistent in color and tone…and should be a solid richer warm orangy-beige with black tail fringe and white beard and muffs.

There are still hatcheries with good Salmons out there, we just need to find which ones so we can promote them and discourage using the ones that don't seem to care and let them know why.

These are 2 hens that i picked up from the feed store as chicks. Forgot to ask which hatchery.

The pics below show a comparison of the 2 Faverolles varieties, Mahoganies and Salmons,….and their consistency of color. My Avatar is a Blue Salmon also the farthest left in the group shot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom