Faverolles Thread

These are 2 hens that i picked up from the feed store as chicks. Forgot to ask which hatchery.

The pics below show a comparison of the 2 Faverolles varieties, Mahoganies and Salmons,….and their consistency of color. My Avatar is a Blue Salmon also the farthest left in the group shot.

Thank you! The mahoganies are so, so pretty! I like that darker color a lot.

Thankyou too, and to Keesmom for the beautiful pics from Buck Hollow…..I really enjoy the Favs and kinda agree with Keesmom with the Salmon being a first love….i enjoy their quirky personalities and have a variety of sizes and personalities.

elizmartin

Feeders - I got the idea from a thread on this board.. Something about a $5 DIY feeder, but I can't seem to find the thread now.

Anyway, it's a 3" 90' PVC elbow with the flange cut off and glued to the other end so it sandwiches the bucket and holds it relatively stiff. On the inside it's about 1" off the bottom of the bucket. Buckets are the 4 gallon food grade that every resturaunt/bakery has about 1000 of laying around. The birds have to stick their heads in to eat and so there is no flinging or scratching the food everywhere.

The waterer on top uses the same bucket, but with the horizontal poultry nipples. I've since lowered the buckets (took out the lower wooden blocks) as the water was a little too high. The girls had to reach for it. The food is lower this way, but they don't seem to mind.

Happy with this setup, as there is no food waste, and very little water ever goes anywhere except in their beaks. Occasionally a few drips below, but significantly less than when they come in from out in the rain :)

I had these waterers outside as well, but as they let light in they get green growth in them fairly quickly. I switched to small opaque buckets for outside use with the same horizontal nipples.

Edit: Found it - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

Last edited:
Here are my triplets. They are sooo bad. They have no manners whatsoever. They have been handled since hatching and are too people friendly. They free range and hang with 4 other birds, including a d'uccle rooster.

They have followed someone into the house, have climbed up stairs to tb e deck to look in the window to see if someone was in there. Their new thing is when someone is eating something around them they scream at them and if they put it down or its at a level they think they can grab it, they will jump up and try to steal it.

Its so funny. Its a huge horse farm so there are always people around. The other day, a boy was eating a hoagie and just put his hand down for 2 seconds. Well, the one triplet decided to run and leap up to steal the hoagie. Half scared the boy because he thought it was trying to attack him. We just laughed and laughed because we knew what she was doing...trying to be a thief.

Are anyone else's faverolles mischievous? Mine are so entertaining, I guess because they are so bad. Always up to no good... lol

Here are my triplets. They are sooo bad. They have no manners whatsoever. They have been handled since hatching and are too people friendly. They free range and hang with 4 other birds, including a d'uccle rooster.

They have followed someone into the house, have climbed up stairs to tb e deck to look in the window to see if someone was in there. Their new thing is when someone is eating something around them they scream at them and if they put it down or its at a level they think they can grab it, they will jump up and try to steal it.

Its so funny. Its a huge horse farm so there are always people around. The other day, a boy was eating a hoagie and just put his hand down for 2 seconds. Well, the one triplet decided to run and leap up to steal the hoagie. Half scared the boy because he thought it was trying to attack him. We just laughed and laughed because we knew what she was doing...trying to be a thief.

Are anyone else's faverolles mischievous? Mine are so entertaining, I guess because they are so bad. Always up to no good... lol
Smart birds! I'm starting to suspect that my favs seem really dumb because they're actually smart enough to see through my tricks...

my roo has a habit of jumping up and hanging on my sleeve with his beak when i feed them

Smart birds! I'm starting to suspect that my favs seem really dumb because they're actually smart enough to see through my tricks...

Yes in some regards they are very smart. But in other regards they aren't too bright. We always seem to find one that has gotten lost from her friends and have to pick her up and carry her all over the farm looking for her friends.

Someone on another forum complained that they didnt like them because they think life is a playground. IMO, thats what we love about them...they just make us laugh between their chatter and their antics. They are my favorite breed besides the D'uccles. They are so sweet too...

Here are the Hoodlums again. . Lol

Last edited:
My fav roo climbed onto my knee today. I think he's actually settling down a little ( thank goodness!). He was hatched early September, so about 10-12 weeks old now, and very handsome.

My Faverolles are just like that, really my salmon, Diamond. She looks guilty when you catch her stealing your lunch too, she pauses and runs off with that weird wobble they have.

Back
Top Bottom