Faverolles Thread

Soo... lost 3 of my 8 Valley Hatchery chicks so far... two of which were my cockerels! :barnie No pasty butt or anything obvious... maybe just not very hardy?

*sigh* It's gonna be hard to breed them without a roo... :he Maybe one of the pullets will turn out male?

Didn't you just get them? 

I have an excess of Roosters. I had 6 Cockerels and 4 pullets and I lost a pullet last week. Now I have 6 and 3.

I have an excess of Roosters. I had 6 Cockerels and 4 pullets and I lost a pullet last week. Now I have 6 and 3.

My remaining five look to be all pullets... which is good, but I will still have to find myself a cock eventually. Wish you were closer lol! I'd gladly relieve you of one of your boys! :p

Miss Gossie looks silly with her tail feathers all gone! I dunno what happened to them... unless they just got broken off during intimate encounters. Is she decent color-wise? She does have a little bit of black in her beard. (Sorry, not the best pic... phone camera+shady yard. ^^; )

Last edited:
I finally have some pictures of my chicks, which are about a month old. Excuse the pen. I did clean it yesterday, but it gets dirty fast!

The lighter chicks came from eggs I hatched from a seller on ebay. I was psyched. 12 eggs-9 hatched chicks. So I've been making guesses on sex, although it's getting easier by the day. About a week ago I designated left leg bands as female, right as male.

Do you think the sleeping guy in the background is a boy?

I finally have some pictures of my chicks, which are about a month old. Excuse the pen. I did clean it yesterday, but it gets dirty fast!

The lighter chicks came from eggs I hatched from a seller on ebay. I was psyched. 12 eggs-9 hatched chicks. So I've been making guesses on sex, although it's getting easier by the day. About a week ago I designated left leg bands as female, right as male.

Do you think the sleeping guy in the background is a boy?

Beautiful!
The way that I use to tell sex on Faverolles is looking at the chest/neck feathers coming in. The white/cream or only slightly speckled chests are females. A hatchery female can have a slightly speckled chest, but usually only the cocks will have a truly black chest.
The sleeping chick in the back in the photo in question does have some black-ish feathers on the wings, but a white chest so far- I'd wait another week and see.
The comb doesn't look as developed on that one, the male in the bottom photo's comb is bigger and pinker, so I'd venture it may be female.

My remaining five look to be all pullets... which is good, but I will still have to find myself a cock eventually. Wish you were closer lol! I'd gladly relieve you of one of your boys! :p

Miss Gossie looks silly with her tail feathers all gone! I dunno what happened to them... unless they just got broken off during intimate encounters. Is she decent color-wise? She does have a little bit of black in her beard. (Sorry, not the best pic... phone camera+shady yard. ^^; )
Miss Gossie is pretty and has the lighter coloration that is nice. tails come and go….

Thanks elizmartin! I was hoping she'd be a good breeding candidate whenever I can get started up. I'm not too bothered by her lack of a tail now... it'll come back in eventually. :)
Someone suggested Nutrena Feather Fixer for her a page or so back. I've used it before with great results, but I've heard that some of Nutrena's other feed has had trash (like, literal garbage) in it recently, so I'm a little leery about buying their brand right now. I said earlier that I was giving her lots of black oil sunflower, but in reality, I'm just throwing a handful or two in the run for them all every few days. I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm feeding them every meal... I should have been more clear lol. ^^;

As for my chicks, Mom thinks I may have a little cockerel after all!!! I haven't made it by her house yet to check (they're in her big brooder cage), but I plan on going by tonight or tomorrow and peeking under their skirts lol! If so, then with Gossie, the 4 pullets and one possible cockerel, I should have the beginnings of a decent flock before long! So very EXCITE! I hopehopeHOPE they all have good color!!

Hi all! I'm new to Faverolles but was suggested this thread. I have two bantams and I'm thinking they are both cockerels. They are 5 weeks. Let me know! I'm no expert!

Back
Top Bottom