Faverolles Thread

Been MIA for a little while, but my pullets have been a'growing! Though I do love them, they are a far cry from 'the best of the best exhibition quality' that the hatchery claimed their stock to be. :tongue Oh well... vivre et apprendre I guess! Here are some recent pics: This one is Chouette. She's apparently beardless/muffless. >8| She'll be going to live with a friend in her mixed flock. Fauve has a sooty beard! Lacie is lighter than the rest, but again has soot in her beard. She's also slightly smaller than the others. Look how muddy Marron looks now! And Suie, whom has always been such a smutty girl! I do like her though. My only two chicks from my Coastline hatching eggs are looking pretty good so far. No sooties that I can see yet! PLUS, today, my darling Hubs took me down to SC to get some chicks, and I came back with 7 2-3 week olds, and 4 pullets around 3 months! They aren't great quality... in fact the pullets are pretty crummy, but I'm going to try them out. I think my plan is going to be to put my best birds with the Faverolles cockerel, and my pet quality birds with an Ameraucana cock and breed Favaucanas from them. And if they're really bad, they can just be layers or crockpot fillers. I'm very excite regardless! Also, I have already signed the petition you posted keesmom, but thanks for getting the word out! This ridiculous 'mandate' here in NC has gotta go! UGHH!
What hatchery did you use?

Valley Hatchery out of Ohio. I don't recommend them for Salmon Favs (obviously!) but I ordered my mom some light Brahmas at the same time, and they are very nice looking birds! Still, I will not be doing business with them again.

Valley Hatchery out of Ohio. I don't recommend them for Salmon Favs (obviously!) but I ordered my mom some light Brahmas at the same time, and they are very nice looking birds! Still, I will not be doing business with them again.
Yeah, I saw their claim of "high quality exhibition birds" on their website, yet there isn't a single picture of one of their actual breeders. Aside from the fact that it would be extremely difficult to maintain high quality in that many breeds.

I hope you succeed in getting that mandatory poultry regulation tossed out! Hopefully no other states will consider it as well.

Though the state next door has been heavy handed too. I know I posted this link a while back, but here is one BYC member's experience with the VA dept of agriculture.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/990599/destruction-and-disposal-orders-help

Here is our first batch of blue/ black / splash faverolles, thanks to the wonderful Karen Carpenter!

And here's the live- action version...
1f604.png

Many thanks also to Eliz Martin and Cindy for sending us in this direction!

(Sorry, the video isn't showing up...)
[video]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom