Faverolles Thread

I keep telling myself "No more roosters".. but that white rooster is just beautiful! My hand would go up to volunteer to take him
smile.png
if he was much closer. So how recessive is the white gene in the breed?

With horses it's dominant and is a masking gene that will cover the horses natural genetic color. So when you breed white or grey to a colored horse the baby is almost always white/grey as an adult.

Favarolle Roosters are my favorite for their gentleness compared to many other breeds, particularly bantams. I just moved my birds out of winter pens where i had 2-3 roos together (some with DeAnver & Old English) and put all 6 bantam Fav.boys together. They have all settled in with only a minor spat. I keep watch for the first week to make sure no one is intimidated. I don't have experience with Cornish, but if You really like him and he is with everyone now i would just leave him and should a problem arise later, see who is causing it then????
eliz

Quote:
I have three girls besides my Armand, and a fav mix hen that looks like a almost white fav but for the toes and the smattering of "freckles" here and there across her. But her father was a bantam fav. She's got a face, too, that's why I took one I can't even show. Take a look:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6103_dscn4369.jpg

You should see her when she's had a bath! But, she doesn't have the fav personality - she hates me. Not that that stops me from kissing her!

('Scuse the dirty coop - that was in the winter, so...)

Awwwh...she is a beauty!! LOL yep, keep smothering her with kisses to win her over!!! You know, the white roo is awesome looking! I would give it a try, if it doesn't work, then you can go from there. You might be pleasantly surprised!!! Like I said some roos are fine and some of my others are a bunch of dorks and I need to rehome them asap! Some of my dorks as youngsters ended up being the most sweetest as they became mature too.

Quote:
If you breed a white to a salmon the chicks will all be completely visually salmon, you would never know they carry recessive white unless you test mate them.
smile.png

Quote:
If you breed a white to a salmon the chicks will all be completely visually salmon, you would never know they carry recessive white unless you test mate them.
smile.png

Ugh! Ok, ok - I'm caving. I told the people I'll take him back. You, know, I thought I lost my mind when I had children - well, whatever I had left I lost when I got chickens. Just pray that they all get along, or I'll be back on here again.

The whites really are pretty. I had a half dozen pop up out of my bantam black pair. Someday I'd like to get some LF whites.

Back
Top Bottom