Faverolles Thread

now that would be a great selling tool - tendancy to girls from that breeder...
fl.gif

now that would be a great selling tool - tendancy to girls from that breeder...
fl.gif

Except I only got a 50% hatch rate from the guy who hatched for me so I'm thinking for some reason it was probably the boys who didn't make it. The male species is weaker (I'm not just making that up, it's a known fact haha) so it may have something to do with that.
ETA: I do need to add that at Day 8 when they were candled 14 of the 15 total she sent were alive and growing. She's got great fertility.

Last edited:
The one on the left is in the above picture (the one I wasn't sure of the sex). Just to be safe-the one one the right actually *is male, correct? These are the 2 dark ones, the others are all beige and butterscotch. They're 2 wks old.

ok here is a picture of my chicks when they were young.

the one on the right ended up being my blue salmon boy

he is the one on the left and the other 3 are girls.

look to the leg feathers- black are boys, not black are girls
out of 75 chicks I have hatched out this year I have only gotten 9 boys

Thank you, Dinahmoe! Relatives, how cool
cool.png
I'm still confused on mine according to the 'rules'. They just lost the baby fuzz on their legs but so far the tips coming out on all 6 are white, even on the darkest 'boy'. That may change as they grow out some though. And no black shoulder feathers, not even on the darkest one, his are copper. The one that I'm not sure on is still either a Blue Salmon boy, I think, or a girl. I'll be happy with either. I don't know why there's no black shoulder feathers or leg feathers so far. It's a mystery and they're making me wait.
Sandiklaws-only 9 boys out of 75???? Wow, that's got to be more than a coincidence. Those are some impressive odds.

Last edited:
yep it is like this every year, looking for boys I get girls- going to try to figure out who throws the most boys and start a "boy only" production pen next fall, and see if I can even things out a little. The females in chickens control the sex in the eggs- not like us we are the exact opposite.

I don't know for sure if they are all like this or just some. The plan wasick Boulanger to cull the cockerels for the freezer, but I have not had many hatch out so that doesn't happen often.... don't get me wrong, it is sooooo nice to be able to deal with day old cull chicks (toes) and know that I can probably sell them all at 5 weeks of age no problem. I got my first birds from Dick Boulanger, hatched out 9 chicks from the dozen eggs I set under a LF Cochin hen broody, and out of those 9.. only 2 were boys. I have a lot of Dick's line running in my birds still and it is the same story every season... going to have to fix it LOL If you want some of your own I have 2 auctions on ebay right now, one is bid up already, but here is the link to the other:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300680043554?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Back
Top Bottom