Faverolles Thread

Sounds like to me the white gene is popping back out from years ago. Dealt with that the first 3 years I worked on them. The first year I hatched over 150 blacks and kept 5. The toe gene could also pop back out too.

Thanks for the heads up on the toe thing. So far so good on the toes....
fl.gif

I have a question. I have my first SF's in the brooder, they are a couple weeks old. Are Faverolles known to be flighty? Everything I had read indicated they are pretty calm and sweet. These chicks go bonkers anytime I go into the office (where their brooder is). They got into pig pile mode in a corner, usually squashing the few silkies that had the misfortune to hatch at the same time. I've hatched a lot of different breeds and I don't recall any ever being that flighty. Any comments most welcome.

Also, are their 4th & 5th toes supposed to be similar to silkies? Real good split between them?

BTW, they are gorgeous and I love them. Can't wait until they are a little bigger.

I have not had a lot of experience with them yet, but I think your chicks will calm down in a bit. So far the chicks I have hatched have been flighty until they are more than couple weeks old. Been my experience so far.

Last edited:
I think they settle down nicely with a bit of age.....they are super sweet and very gentle as a breed. I hatch my babies in the house and have them in an XL dog crate in my great room with heat for almost a month before I put them outside so they are well socialized and used to the vacuum, dogs, loud sounds, etc and so I can handle them a bit.

I have a question. I have my first SF's in the brooder, they are a couple weeks old. Are Faverolles known to be flighty? Everything I had read indicated they are pretty calm and sweet. These chicks go bonkers anytime I go into the office (where their brooder is). They got into pig pile mode in a corner, usually squashing the few silkies that had the misfortune to hatch at the same time. I've hatched a lot of different breeds and I don't recall any ever being that flighty. Any comments most welcome.

Also, are their 4th & 5th toes supposed to be similar to silkies? Real good split between them?

BTW, they are gorgeous and I love them. Can't wait until they are a little bigger.

I keep a lot of rock varieties as well as Americanas and favs. I wouldn't call my favs "calm". They are not as rough as the other chickens (for instance, I can mix ages more easily w.o the older ones harassing the younger ones as badly as the other breeds do), their roosters are generally not as aggressive, BUT they have a hysterical tendancy. For instance, I pick up one, she starts shrieking, they ALL start shrieking.
An old chicken guy I know says that "there are large differences between strains in a breed" and when we are buying from hatcheries (mine are from Ideal in TX) we aren't getting the best. For instance, my Ideal favs were a good deal smaller than his favs (which were show birds).

Thanks for the replies. Guess they are acting normal. Not a big deal at all, I am just eager for them to grow up. I'm hoping to get them outside this weekend. We need to set up more covered enclosed space outside. It's started.... just so many outdoor chores! They'll be happy to have more space to run around.

I found mine to calm down more and more with age... got one hen so easy to catch now she just sits there when you walk up to her so long as you talk to her... go back a year and you would think she had the devil himself chasing her LOL

Back
Top Bottom