Faverolles Thread

Thank you all for your input on Quiz & Puzzle!! Guess I'll just have to wait and see, lol. I was so sure with getting the straight run I'd end up with a bunch of roos. Now I may be overrun with pullets!
big_smile.png
Around what age do you expect to see comb reddening in faverolles boys?

I have seen some awful off colored hatchery pullets in past years - including some that were half black! I'm not sure what they did to get such awful coloring.
Since there has been a lot of interest in "colored" Favarolles.....blacks, blues, buffs, Mahogany's, maybe thru the last few years the hatcheries have picked up flocks from some who have run or accidentally mixed the colors even thou the flocks looked normal, and now the colors are starting to pop up. My first from Cackle and Ideal were both beautifully normal colored. 6 ish years ago??? 2 pullets i bought from the coop last year both had lots of black smudges particularly in the breast and are kinda appy....don't know what hatchery....
eliz

PS, received 3 Mahogany chicks this year and 2 look fairly nice, but one has VERY pronounced vulture hocks...looks like bat wings on his legs...........

Last edited:
Starry, i am new to favs, but my guess would be a girl?

here are my 4, now 5 weeks old- 2 boys and 2 girls- is it normal for them to sleep alot still?

Starry, i am new to favs, but my guess would be a girl?

here are my 4, now 5 weeks old- 2 boys and 2 girls- is it normal for them to sleep alot still?
THANKS for your input!

Mine are about 5 or 6 weeks old and they do sleep a lot. We still have them in a brooder, in the garage. I think once they are outside with a run, they will be more active.

Here is my 5/6 week old Salmon Faverolle. Any thoughts on gender? Or any other thoughts on coloring ect?

Looks like a Girl to me! I had one feather out almost exactly like yours pictured here and for the longest time thought it was a boy, but she never crowed and laid an egg one day. You will probably see a little more of the darker colors come in. We just call ours a sport Fav because she came from a salmon breeding but looks different. I will try to get a pick of her and show you what my girl looks like now, but be warned she is the Roo's favorite gal and for the life of me can't keep a Saddle on her. She just to smart :)

Looks like a Girl to me! I had one feather out almost exactly like yours pictured here and for the longest time thought it was a boy, but she never crowed and laid an egg one day. You will probably see a little more of the darker colors come in. We just call ours a sport Fav because she came from a salmon breeding but looks different. I will try to get a pick of her and show you what my girl looks like now, but be warned she is the Roo's favorite gal and for the life of me can't keep a Saddle on her. She just to smart :)
THANKS for your input, Grumpypantsmomma (love the name!!!)

I would love to see some pictures of yours now. Gives me something to compare and possible see what she will grow into.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom