Faverolles Thread

Good! The pullet looks like she has nice slate under color, and her breast is clean. The male will change a TON before he's mature, so it's really hard to say at this age, but it looks like he'll be really dark.
wink.png
Is darker better? If so, I have another that has darker coloring. I love watching them change. I can't wait to see the final result on the males.

Quote: You'll really have to just wait and see how they're going to turn out. This one has more red on him, which is good, but I don't know about how dark his head is.

How dark you want them depends on the color of your females. Check this out: http://peterfmerlin.tripod.com/colorcombinations.htm

BUT you don't want to make decisions on the boys (if you have room to raise them this long) until they are at LEAST 8 months old. The older, the better. ;)

Hello,
At what age is a chicken considered "full grown"? I have a pullet that is 7/8 weeks old. She seems very dark on the underside. As she grows will that turn lighter as you see in most full grown Salmon Faverolles?

Hello,
At what age is a chicken considered "full grown"? I have a pullet that is 7/8 weeks old. She seems very dark on the underside. As she grows will that turn lighter as you see in most full grown Salmon Faverolles?

No, she will not lighten enough to be the standard salmon color. This dark color is very common in hatchery Faverolles. ;) Oh, and many breeds are considered "full grown" when they start to lay, but heritage breeds and slower to mature birds, like Favs, I don't consider "full grown" until they are about a year old.

Last edited:
No, she will not lighten enough to be the standard salmon color. This dark color is very common in hatchery Faverolles. ;) Oh, and many breeds are considered "full grown" when they start to lay, but heritage breeds and slower to mature birds, like Favs, I don't consider "full grown" until they are about a year old.
Ahhhh, thank you! I appreciate the info.
I wonder where to find some pictures of hatchery Faverolles. My nephew wants to know what she will look like she is is "bigger".
idunno.gif

You'll really have to just wait and see how they're going to turn out. This one has more red on him, which is good, but I don't know about how dark his head is.

How dark you want them depends on the color of your females. Check this out: http://peterfmerlin.tripod.com/colorcombinations.htm

BUT you don't want to make decisions on the boys (if you have room to raise them this long) until they are at LEAST 8 months old. The older, the better. ;)
I don't think we have space for 6 roos in a flock ( when merged) of 29. Plus I think one of my Araucanas is a boy and possibly one of my Houdans. Any other indicators of which bird might be best based on muff,beard, tail possibly? I would like to show them, more on a local basis, but mostly they are pets, so it may just come down to personality.

Back
Top Bottom