Faverolles Thread

Cloverleaf, thanks so much! You are always on the ball and quick to answer. I had ordered some in my kids favorite colors for the fair and then began to wonder if they were acceptable since they are "removeable". We have to get blood testing set up which I am not looking forward to. (I don't plan on telling the birds as I don't want them to be anxious
wink.png
.)

Cloverleaf, thanks so much! You are always on the ball and quick to answer. I had ordered some in my kids favorite colors for the fair and then began to wonder if they were acceptable since they are "removeable". We have to get blood testing set up which I am not looking forward to. (I don't plan on telling the birds as I don't want them to be anxious
wink.png
.)
wink.png
Glad to help when I can. Good luck at fair!

Thanks. Our fair starts Aug. 6, but the birds don't have to be there until later. We have to decide who is going and in what catagories. I have to get back on with the silkie thread as I am still unsure if our lone silkie is male or female and I have to know that before we register. It has been nice to read this thread and learn what traits I am looking for in the birds. Our county fair is very small and I think the kids will do well. My daughter first showed last year with the Pullet Chain and got Reserve grand for her pen, she showed her favorite bird seperatly and won Grand large fowl and also won Grand for her eggs. I think alot was beginners luck, so I told her not to be expectant this year. However, I don't know how much competition we will be having. Not many people are into the birds. Cows, pig, and goats are where all the attention is, so she may do ok.

I thought this would be a good place to ask some advice about this.
I should have 3 different bloodlines of Faverolles next season. I can usually tell my birds apart quite easily, but this will be more birds then I usually keep and I want to keep documentation on every bird. So I was thinking about going with leg bands. I have never used bands before and now my question is what size would I use on Fav's, would it even be recommended or would it damage leg feathers, do I use plastic or metal, is there a certain style that works better then others or is more comfortable for the birds or it there a better alternative?
They will be in separate runs, but I let the groups free range to clean the coop and let them forage for bugs in my garden and mix ups can happen, so I wanted to rather be safe then sorry.
Thank you for any input
HI there, just a thought that if free ranged together occasionally, that roo's can cross breed to other non pen girls. Others here on the list have a better idea how long one needs to keep separate for pure line eggs......I run most of mine together too until i choose to save eggs for chicks.
I have lost bands from Faverolles so will try Jeanine's thoughts but can be replaced easy if done as soon as noticed missing before forgetting who is who........ Also check OFTEN as they grow because the bands don't always expand well. I have a special bird whose band fused somehow and cut off circulation. Only when he appeared to limp did we find out that it was serious necrosis under the band....It was scary but he is almost back to his chipper self now.

eliz

Last edited:
Thats a real shame Peter, your work and progress in the breed was one of the things that inspired me to work with them. I do have birds from your lines, and I will treasure them always. Hope all is well with you.

Back
Top Bottom